We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

My wife and I and another couple are all active retirees planning for two weeks of driving/sightseeing the Fall foliage in the New England area, primarily Vermont and New Hampshire. However, our friend has prior commitment Oct 2-5 so we were wondering if we should go the last two weeks of Sept (9/16-30) or the second and third weeks of Oct (10/7-21)?

Also Can you help with the itinerary? We would like to experience, stop and get out of the car, walk around, do some easy and short hikes, spend time in local shops and scenic spots, take time to compose some great photos rather than just point and shoot. If possible we would like to stay in Bed and Breakfast inn. Can we do Vermont, NH and Maine in two weeks? Someone suggests we should drive the coast from Ogunquit all the way to Bar harbor. Should we fly in and out of Manchester, NH (from San Diego)? Any lodging suggestions.

Thanks

SDtoSeattle

Salem MA
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

I would suggest the later for several reasons. first mid Sept the colors will be spotty and not fully developed. Also this year I believe the change will be a bit later. The spring and summer were later to arrive this year and everything is pointing to the falls arrival to follow suit.

If you arrive 7 Oct to 21, you will have a great many options for travel. and generally you will be in the white mountains, green mountains and central Maine to start.

Then as you get to the second week you should be planning on getting into the south more like central Mass and southern NH/VT and southern ME to the coastal areas.

I cover many of these topics in my blog on http://jeff-foliage.com where you can read about the flow and ebb and tide of the color changes. I wish I could say that for sure it will on such and such date be at full color. but it doesn't happen that way...

But if you read about finding base of operations (sounds military, right?) well I consider good planning to not happen by accident and you need as much info as possible to make good decisions.

I would also say nail down lodging for all Fridays through Monday mornings now! do not wait because you will be fighting about a million other leaf peepers for rooms on the weekends... But during the week you may be able to wing it a little and when you know where you will be, start making calls and you should have a fairly easy time of securing rooms You may or may not get a luxurious B&B each night but if you aren't too picky then you may be able to be comfy and do it from night to night.

I'm hoping to have listings for the mid week in Vermont on my site but I'm still waiting on that. I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions here but be sure to stop in and say hi on my website of my foliage Facebook page!

Jeff "Foliage" Folger

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

Thanks Jeff. So you know we're planning to fly in to Manchester on Oct 8th instead and we've just booked lodging for 7 nights 10/8-14 at Liberty Hill Farm in Rochester. I read about this farm in a travel book and thought it'll be very interesting to stay on a farm. Since we are staying at one place for 7 days as a base, we can be flexible and do day trips from it depends on how things unfold. After 7 days in Vermont, I am thinking of staying at Gorham for one night while driving the Kancamagus Hwy area, then another night at Rangeley before driving to Bar Harbor for one night. Then we'll drive down the coast Maine, staying one night each at Camden, Portland and Portsmouth before flying back to San Diego from Manchester. Is the coast of Maine a little too cold in mid Oct? Instead of heading to Maine, should we travel further south instead to follow the foliage. Do you have any recommendation to where to stay between 10/15-20?

Thanks

SDtoSeattle

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

Morning SD,

Liberty Hill farm is a great central location and you must visit Sandy's Books & cafe in Rochester just up the route 100 and ask for one of her hemperoons....delicious! Also drive up route 100 one night and check out the original Vermont Flatbread store near Waitsfield, which is still located in the original barn!

You have made a wise decision to base yourself in one place and do day trips. From your Vermont location you can reach either the top or bottom of the State in a little over 2 hours and the drives will be wonderful. Route 100 should be your main road for driving north/south.

Maine will be bracing in Oct but you get that in Seattle! Also one night in Bar Harbor is a long drive for you to see very little! I'd spend more time in Vermont/NH/northern MA and leave Maine for another trip. Also finding 1 night lodging at this time of year will be very difficult.

In NH do consider staying in Jackson as again it is a pretty village in a good location for driving around the State and I always prefer it to North Conway.

Manchester NH is a good place to fly into unless you wanted to fly to Boston Logan as that would only add 45 minutes driving time and often flights there are better value. Or another option is Bradley in CT which is easy to reach via I91 and is only 2 minutes further to drive from Woodstock VT...and the drive is very scenic!

Do check out the Woodstock village website (www.woodstockvt.com) and aim to spend a day here. Also in Warren the general store is great, and you should do a round trip one day via 125 at Hancock (Texas Falls) to Middlebury and then come back via the Lincoln gap. This is a classic fall drive.

Have a great time.

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

Thanks so much so the information. we have decided to skip going to the coast of Maine on this trip!

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

Ok. If we cancel going to the coast if Maine and decide to stay behind Vermont/NH area, should we stay behind at Rochester for another week or stay at Jackson for a week. is two weeks a little over kill. Is 10 days total better? I'd so, should we stay the last 3 days in Rochester or Jackson? Thanks

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

Personally I'd stay in Jackson for a few nights and then some where on your way back to your arrival airport. I assume you don't want to go and see Cape Cod? This is fantastic in the off season.

Don't discount staying in the Berkshires (North Adams a great historic and interesting town with MOMA and great eating) . Seven nights in VT should give you a good feel for the State.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

Help ON 6 day itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage departing Oct 21, 2014 from Quebec. Thanks

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

This post is a year old. Please start a new topic and add more details so that we can help you out. Thanks.

9. Re: Help on 2 weeks itinerary to see New England Fall Foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 22, 2015