We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New england summer trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New england summer trip

Hi, my husband, 2 teen girls and I are travelling to New England (from London) planning to drive from Boston to Maine, then to White mountains, Vermont and then back to Cape Cod for a few days - is this a reasonable itinerary? At present we plan to head to Southport in Maine ...is this too far north or should we stay near Rockport, kenebunk area. We definitely want to go to woodstock .......will the route via I -91 from North Conway be interesting? We will have 2 weeks.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New england summer trip

Hello Corina in Blighty,

Two weeks is fine if you don't mind some driving, if you want to tell us what time of year you are coming then that will help us advise you as many places have minimum stay requirements at certain times of the year.

To give you an idea of driving times, Booth bay Harbour /Southport from Boston is an easy drive until Bath and then you tootle around minor roads which are beautiful but slow, allow 4 hours. From Bath ME to Woodstock VT (for there are a few others...) via North Conway and Mount Washington would take about 5 hours going the scenic route straight east. I always prefer Jackson to North Conway and the Carter Notch Inn (highly rated on TA) is run by some other excellent British Innkeepers, who also being British and an inn keeper, I know well!

Cape Cod from Woodstock VT takes about 4 hours to the top of the Cape, unless you hit it on a summer weekend! The route is straight through Boston which is now one long tunnel and a really Good road. You take I89 to I93 and then go south all the way.

Personally I'd aim for a few nights in the same place and then do day trips out. In NH near Bretton Woods you can scare yourselves silly on a zip line tour (brettonwoods.com/activities/…overview)

In North Conway you can do a day of tax free shopping but I find it soulless to stay in, hence I go to Jackson. I'd stop in Rockport ME and 'do' LL Bean at Freeport ME on the way up, but I think Kennebunk might be a little too sedate for your teenagers to stay in.

Consider a trip up Mount Washington, either on the railway or the auto road if the weather is good.

For Woodstock VT check out the village website at www.woodstockvt.com. and I'll happily give you pointers on anything apart form local lodging as TA advise one not to pass opinions on fellow business providers of the same profession.

Happy planning and I could just sink a pint of London Pride!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New england summer trip

Thank you for your helpful advice - we are travelling in August will leave Boston on 10th and hope to spend 3 days in Southport area, 3-4 days White Mountains / Woodstock and will def do the railway trip. OMG Bretton Wood experience looks amazing! Do you still think straight scenic route is best from there to Woodstock Vermont? Hope we find your Inn in Woostock! Keeping 5 days for Cape Cod ??

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New england summer trip

I think that Cape Cod for 5 days might be a little too long....all depends on what you want to do? The beaches there are great but the sea temperature would be no warmer than Studland Bay in August...so fresh!

Providence is worth the drive, and in August you should get some cracking weather. If you don't take the scenic route you could knock an hour off your travelling as you go back towards Boston from Southport and then take route 101 (Seacoast route) to I93 and then I89...but your on holiday so what's the hurry to save an hour?

You would then still have to go from Woodstock VT up to the White Mountains so you would gain little.

Have a ponder and let us know your ideas...but do try and continue to stay in places for 2/3 nights as that way you will see more as you are not continually looking for the new place to stay.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
423 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New england summer trip

If you're going to Cape Cod, consider taking a day trip (via ferry from Hyannis) to Nantucket. I'd recommend an overnight stay but it's unlikely you'd find a place with a one-night opening in August, which is peak vacation time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New england summer trip

Thanks for good ideas.So far 2 days Boston, 3 days Southport, scenic route to white mountain for 3 days - booked to stay between North Conway and Jackson and then 1 day staying near Woodstock, five days Cape Cod and we can travel to Nantucket, Providence and Newport on trips perhaps.

We are all really excited!

Best wishes

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
423 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New england summer trip

Sounds wonderful!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New england summer trip

Boston's Logan airport to Southport, Maine

will take about 3 hours non-stop

on Interstate 95 ( toll road ) to exit 44

then I - 295 to exit 28 Brunswick, Maine

for maps info use Google MAPS

Pitt stop on route

Portsmouth, N H New Hampshire's motto is " Live Free or Die "

there's no sales tax in New Hampshire.

Edited: 9:44 am, July 03, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New england summer trip

thanks Rick.............had the best weather I have seen in Ireland recently.

Just learned that Southport accomodation fell through so going to Sebasco instead.......

9. Re: New england summer trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 08, 2014