We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days May 27 - Jun 3

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
8 days May 27 - Jun 3

So, if you had 7-8 days to drive VT and it's your first visit, where would you go? We're flying in/out Burlington; 2 women no kids; enjoy scenery over shopping, good brews rather than martinis. There's so many possibilities as 4 hrs would take us up to Quebec, over to Portsmouth, or the Adirondacks... We don't want to be road warriors, but we're not afraid of a few hours on the road (by car) either. It looks like we can't go wrong whatever direction, but expert advice is always the best! Thanks.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

See BTV and do road trips to Stowe (1 hr drive), Woodstock (1+hr), and the White Mtns. in NH (2+hrs).

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

Thanks! With such short drive times maybe we'll set up "base camp" in 2-3 different cities and then do day trips. We're used to 6 hr drives between destinations so this could be a nice relaxing change.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

I'd spend at least a couple days in Burlington. Have a brew on the deck at VT Pub & Brewery, then another at one of the many outdoor seating areas on Church Street. Walk down to the waterfront and rent a bike to use on the many miles of bike path that follow the lake. Take a cruise on the friendship (http://whistlingman.com/) or the Spirit of Ethan Allen (www.soea.com)--both affordable options for getting on the water.

The Mad River Valley has some very nice inns (Warren/Waitsfield are the towns to look in). Lots of great hiking although the higher elevation trails are currently closed until Memorial Day for mud season. I tend to stay away from Stowe myself, but during the week after Memorial Day it might not be as busy as July or August.

If you can find a waterfront rental anywhere for a couple of days, you can't go wrong there. Memorial Day weekend is probably booked up, but maybe during the week thereafter you can find some openings. Watching the sun set over the Adirondack mountains of New York is spectacular.

Montreal may not be your thing, but we love escaping up there for a quick overnight when we can. Old montreal will have you feeling like you're walking down a street in Paris and the food is amazing.

If you have more specific questions about certain places, feel free to ask.

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

so much to do, so little time! We already know we're going to visit again... and we haven't even left home!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

Agree w/ Adam's comments fully.

If you'd like a couple of base camps, Burlington, Stowe, Woodstock, and in New Hampshire, Littleton, Bethlehem, or Jefferson are all good options, depending on what you'd like to do. There's some superb scenery in the white mtns of NH, and great hiking if that's of interest.

Stowe and BTV are within an hour of each other, so you could cover them easily in day trips..... but they have entirely different atmospheres. BTV is a vibrant, lakeside college town, and Stowe is an artsy little mountain resort town. The rec paths in both are excellent - and very different.

Edited: 9:29 pm, May 21, 2013
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

...as has been mentioned Seabird 6 ....Woodstock should feature in your plans. Check out the village website at www.woodstockvt.com...you won't be disappointed...two great breweries with 30 minutes, a distillery with 15 minutes...and tons of history and outside stuff if you seek that....

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

First nite is in Waterbury/Stowe, then we're free for week. One idea is to wander to coast (Portsmouth NH/ Ogunquit ME). Or just do N/S routes thru VT, then same in NH... We're really following the idyll road. Last night (Jun 3) would be back in Burlington area. I'm really surprised at all the possibilities: never realized BTV was so central! I attended Yestermorrow School in Warren about 20 yrs ago and fell in love with VT. Finally back to explore!

DavidB: funny that you mentioned it, but today I just checked out VT & NH breweries. Puts WI to shame!

Adam, Chris & Liz: BTV for 1 or 2 days at end. Gut feel is that we'll be flying out wishing for more. Shame that the ferry's not running yet... but it keeps us in VT!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

Hi Seabird - I'd plan for 2 days in BTV - esp. if you arrive in the afternoon and really only have 1.5 days there. It's a relaxed hip little college town with lots to see and do for such a small city. Check out the Flynn theater to see if there's some live show that's of interest - it's a gem of a restored old art deco theater..

The ferries from Grand Isle (30 min north of BTV) and Charlotte (30 min south) are both running and both pretty rides. The drives to either from BTV are quite scenic too.

ferries.com/crossing-schedule-rates/grand-is…

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

Well, I have a tentative intinerary. We arrive BTV noon Sunday with first night booked in Waterbury (local hotels booked with marathoners). Then on Monday (Memorial Day)...

Waterbury to Brattleboro via Hwy 100.

Across to Portsmouth NH via 101.

Up to Kancamagus Hwy via Hwy 6

Zigzag via Hwy 5 down around Lebanon, then up I-89 to BTV.

We have 8 days to play with, so that allows 2 days around BTV and also Portsmouth area. Don't know if this is too much packed in. We don't want to turn this into a driving marathon, and sometimes a 20-mile drive can take us 3 hours if we're captivated by the views, side roads, or find a perfect town to explore. We're only booking rooms at start and end, so we're flexible where we end up each night.

Is including Portsmouth excessive? It's hard to resist when the coast is so close, but then we've never seen the Green Mts, White Mts or Adirondacks. I feel like a kid in a candy shop!

Thanks again for all your insights.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 days May 27 - Jun 3

It's not bad - quite a bit of driving indeed, but doable. I'm not familiar enough with Lebanon or Brattleboro to comment much, though neither town strikes me as a must-see place, compared to Stowe, Woodstock, or the coast. Enjoy!