We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to and around Vermont

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to and around Vermont

Hello everyone.

I am planning a holiday to New England for about three weeks this Autumn. Am I early enough to book accommodation at the lower end of the price scale, and If I'm not, how early should I think about booking for next year?

We like travelling by train and bus/coach whenever possible. My plans - nothing booked yet so I can be flexible - are to have a week or so in Rhode Island and then to travel into North Vermont for the foliage. White Rock, Montpelier and Burlington all look possible rail destinations, then we will hire a car, then return to Boston by train/coach.

1. The Amtrak site shows trains from Providence to Vermont via New Haven but that takes about nine hours. Is there any way we can do this journey by train or coach, hopefully via Boston, in a shorter time?

2. Montpelier Burlington or White Rock are all possible rail stations. Can we rent cars from any of these places? I have looked on websites but can't find anything. Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places. I would particularly like to be able to collect and return to different locations.

Any help/ suggestions would be much appreciated please.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel to and around Vermont

you will not regret having a car. The US is way behind Europe in public transportation and it's even worse/non-existent in rural areas. You don't need to worry about where not to go. Once you arrive, you can stop in the local chamber of commerce or talk to someone at your lodging to get suggestions on specific locales to visit. You should book your lodging now and beware Columbus Day weekend as it's the busiest of the year in VT.

If you really want to take a bus or train to VT, your best bet might be to first go from RI to Boston, and then to VT from there. Boston's South Station has both commuter train, Amtrak, and bus service. The new Intermodal Center at the RI airport has opened up more options.

Also, unless you have some specific reason to be in RI for a week, that an awful long time for the smallest state in the nation! And I am a native of RI who visits often...

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel to and around Vermont

You can rent a car from enterprise 8022441745

Shrewsbury, United...
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel to and around Vermont

Hi Sandy..saw your post and am doing the same thing in Sept... as i'm visiting freinds for the first time..I too am wondering how to travel up from Boston..and will probably fy and then get a car..anything that youv'e gleaned would be most helpful and wondered if you could share any info?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel to and around Vermont

H Sandy - To your question of places that aren't worth visiting.... Northern VT is indeed quite scenic overall, and there are few places that are drudgy. The towns of Rutland, St. Johnsbury & Waterbury aren't high on my list. Nothing wrong with them, but they don't hold a candle to Stowe, Woodstock, Burlington, etc..

If you'd like more specific info, let us know what you'd particularly like to see & do.

15. Re: Travel to and around Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 25, 2014