We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Vermont summer location for lake & mountains

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best Vermont summer location for lake & mountains

My husband and I are planning a trip to Vermont this summer. We'll be traveling with our dog so would like to rent a cabin or cottage.

Our ideal location is to be situated on a lake with views of mountains - and access to mountain trails within an hour's drive. We love wildlife and hiking, but we also like the chance to eat well at restaurants when we don't feel like cooking.

Any recommendations for where we should be looking for rentals? Specific regions? Specific lakes?

Thanks very much!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Vermont summer location for lake & mountains

I think Lake Dunmore's location is fantastic. Great hiking right there. Falls of Lana, Silver Lake Trail etc. Its also a short drive into the Moosalamoo area which has fantastic hiking as well.

Lake Dunmore is located between Middlebury and Brandon which has some great restaurant options - Cafe Provence in Brandon is fantastic.

http://www.moosalamoo.org/

Also, if you google Lake Dunmore photos in google you'll get lots of great images.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Vermont summer location for lake & mountains

Thanks so much - this is very helpful.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that we'll be traveling from Canada. Definitely not adverse to going to the southern area of the state, but is there anything you'd recommend just a bit further north?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Vermont summer location for lake & mountains

May want to consider lakes region of NH. Aptly named.

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Vermont summer location for lake & mountains

If you looking for peace and quiet along with what you mentioned Lake Willoughby is a very good choice. Other than nature though, there is very little to do in the immediate area so keep that in mind if you'd want to have a bunch of restaurants ect to choose from. But for a peaceful getaway it a great area. The lake is actually between two small mountains at one end and the view is nice. Try googling some pictures. Both the small mountains have trails and there are other options for hiking a short drive away (Mt Burke being one of them).

There aren't many cottages for rent (I think a lot of the shore's land is protected) but both this inn and it's cottages are nice: http://www.willoughvale.com/

There are other rentals to but I don't know any info on them.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Vermont summer location for lake & mountains

I also second Lake Willoughby it is just beautiful.

The hike up Mt Pigash is great

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Vermont summer location for lake & mountains

Thanks for the reco's on Lake Willoughby. It does seem like a beautiful area.

So one last question: second best reco that would also have access to restaurants? They don't have to be 10 minutes away...but say, 20 minute drive?

7. Re: Best Vermont summer location for lake & mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 14, 2014