We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

We're a family of 6 looking to book a ski vacation in Vermont (this will be our first time in VT, usually ski in QC). It's difficult finding a mountain/resort that can cater to everyone's interests, so I was hoping that someone on here could help us choose a suitable place! Here's who we are and what we're looking for:

- I'm an intermediate skier, not picky.

- My wife doesn't ski, so she'd like to have a pool, shopping, spa, etc.

- 2 kids ages 10 and 12, who would require a quality all-day ski program.

- 2 more kids in their early 20's, looking for good skiing as well as nightlife and other people their age they can have fun with.

We'd ideally like to have everything within walking distance, no driving (especially to the mountain and restaurants/nightlife). We looked at Smugglers' Notch, which has excellent kids programs, but seemingly little apres ski and grown up fun (the 2 20-somethings in particular are repulsed by the thought). Killington looks promising, but everything seems very spaced out (correct me if I'm wrong) and the all-day ski programs don't seem great. Stowe and Stratton were 2 others, but not really sure what to expect from either. I should mention that we're willing to splurge a bit on this vacation, IF the place is truly worth the premium.

If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. It's difficult planning a vacation somewhere you've never been, especially when you have such a diverse group, so we could certainly use the help. Cheers and thanks in advance!

Edited: 1:53 am, November 24, 2012
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

The "no driving" part of your equation will make this a little difficult, especially if shopping is on the must do list.

Lots of shopping and restaurants and night life in Stowe, but it will require driving up and down a 4 mile stretch of the Mountain Road.

Jay Peak has its fabulous water park and a spa in addition to the most snow, but there's no shopping.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

Gotta stay in Canada and go to Tremblant. Nothing else on that scale in eastern US. which has it all

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

Stowe is my top pick. Agreed that you'll have to do a little driving. You can stay at the Stowe Mtn Resort itself and drive a few miles to town for nightlife, shopping, browsing, a nice rec path, etc... Or you can stay close to town & walk to a few of the town things - then drive to ski and farther-flung restaurants, shops, etc..

There are also a few fun tourist things near Stowe: The Cold Hollow Cider Mill and Ben & Jerry's factory are ~15 minuntes' drive and are both fun to see. Our biggest city - Burlington (population ~50k) is ~45 min' drive and has great local music, many good restaurants, and lots of good shopping and artsy places.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

Ahhh, what you are talking about is Stratton Mountain. Stratton mountain is a village all slope side. This is truly a fantastic place and hits on all of what you just talked about. The village itself has it all and if you desire to do some rugged winter stuff besides skiing....there is snowmobiling and lots of other winter sports available. You will not need your car for anything while at Stratton.

Have Fun!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

not sure of OP's ski experience but for the complete nondriving, village, apres ski- it is tremblant. But, having spents numerous weeks at both Stratton and Tremblant, can say that Stratton is very nice as well, just on a much smaller scale. more limited dining in walking distance. Waterville Valley is another similar village, ski type place with everything in one place. Unfortunately, nothing compares to the whole Disney concept village of Tremblant.

Maybe you could consider Cranmore in NC in the same category as you can walk into town but not familiar with how much on mountain lodging there is.

With all of that said, great vacations are to be had at the many Vt and NH mountains even if you can't have everything in the same place.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

A big thank you to everyone that's commented! It looks like Stratton fits the bill (Tremblant on a smaller scale). The Jay Peak suggestion also seems appealing, though their website is down so I'm not able to give it a thorough look. Has anyone been to both Stratton and Jay Peak? If so, I'd really appreciate a brief comparison.

For those that recommended Stowe, I'd agree with you based on what I've read. However, we're all going to be doing different things at different times, and with only one car, we'd like for it to always be convenient for everyone to meet up, say for dinner. Having everyone scattered around a several mile stretch at all times of the day/night just won't work for us.

Regarding Tremblant: We're going during the peak Christmas week, and it is absolutely jammed pack and insane there during that time. It's also freezing. We've been 8 times in the past 10 years, and are just looking for a new experience.

Thanks again!

Edited: 7:53 pm, November 24, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

Well, Stratton is the closest to a complete village and I hear you about the crowds and cold (although the energy that comes with the crowds is part of its charm).

Not to far from Stratton is Manchester for both outlet shopping and some very good restaurants. Also, if you have time to visit Hildene, you will not be disappointed. http://www.hildene.org/

If you will be looking for a condo, there are lots of ski in/out opportunities. My cousin has one and not sure if it is rented yet. If interested in details, PM me.

The closest full service supermarket is in Manchester but there is a wonderful gourmet market in winhall at the entrance to the mountain road. http://www.winhallmarket.com/

You don't say if this is Xmas week, but if it is the market makes wonderful chicken that you should order in advance for xmas eve to make sure you get one.

Hopefully, you will have good snow. We started heading to Tremblant to try to get more consistent snow than we did in Stratton but we had many years where it was terrific. Like Tremblant, don't worry too much about the number of runs open before xmas because it seems like they start opening in droves as time gets closer to the arrival of the crowds.

8. Re: Family Ski Vacation for Kids, Young Adults, and Parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 16, 2013