We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Resort Suggestions

North Carolina
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ski Resort Suggestions

My family of 4 (boys 9 and 12) are thinking about spending some time right around Christmas (most likely the week between Christmas and New Year's) in Vermont (or somewhere in the Northeast) to do some skiing. And I am a bit overwhelmed! First of all, will the slopes be open then? We will be flying, probably into Burlington?? We would like to be an hour and half or less from the airport, if possible. We are all beginner skiers and would like a family friendly resort that has other activities other than skiing, as well as nice accommodations and a few restaurants to choose from on site. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Resort Suggestions

will there be snow- yes but can't say how much or where it will be.

Family friendly- Stratton, Stowe, Sugarbush, Smuggler's Notch- the last 3 are all further north and closer to Burlington. Jay Peak is further north and is usually the coldest NE mountain because of that. there is no such thing as not family friendly in the ski resort world. most resorts are 30-40 beginner, 30-40 intermediate, and 25-30 expert.

In terms of other activities, will depend on the weather (snow shoeing, sleigh rides) and also depends on what type of other activities you may be looking for. This is the most expensive week of the year. and closer to slope, more expensive the lodging will be.

you are not going to find Vail or Park City in Vt or NH. Closest to the full on slope amenity mountain is Tremblant in my opinion.

I have taken about nine family vacations to Stratton when my kids were 3 and 5 thru 12 and 14 and 6 to Tremblant. We chose both places for the mountainside village and the skiing (my wife does not ski). But if you choose any of these places, you will have a fabulous Xmas ski trip and while ski on-off is the gold standard, even driving a couple of miles really is not that big a deal.

Look at ski magazine and check out the mountain websites to get a better idea of what each has to offer.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Resort Suggestions

If you are flying into Burlington then Stowe, Sugarbush, Smugglers and Jay would be your best bets. IMO Jay Peak gets the nod because of their indoor water park!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski Resort Suggestions

I agree, the Jay Peak water park is spectacular, your sons would LOVE it. However, there aren't a lot of restaurant choices off the resort.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski Resort Suggestions

Thanks for the advice. I will check out those suggestions! Should I look into flying into any other airports that would get us close to the skiing? Or is Burlington the best option?

Indoor water park, my boys would love that for a break from the slopes!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski Resort Suggestions

You could also consider flying into Montreal/Trudeau airport if you're going to Jay Peak....although Burlington airport is a little bit closer, maybe 15 minutes or so.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski Resort Suggestions

Yeah...thats the negative of Jay. Its pretty isolated and not much (if any!) in the way of shops/restaurants off-resort.

For southern VT ski areas you could look into Albany NY airport. Stratton, Bromley.

7. Re: Ski Resort Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 15, 2013