We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vermont with teen girls

pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vermont with teen girls

Hi we're looking to spend some time in VT for a vacation.

We were thinking about Burlington. How many days is sufficient and what activities and accommodations would you recommend under $200 per night. We like arts, nature cruises, touring & culture

Thanks,

Hills

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vermont with teen girls

Activities in Burlington for Arts, Nature Cruises, Touring and Culture:

- Walk down Church Street. This is the main pedestran marketplace. It's really nice. There is plenty of outdoor public art. Burlington City Arts has a gallery there, in the old firehouse. And Frog Hollow is a great little shop that sells local arts and crafts.

-The Fleming museum is a really beautiful place.

-The Shelburne Museum and Shelburne farms are great places to visit. I think that they still have their exhibit of old carosels up in the round barn. Really great.

-There are any number of cruises that you can take on Lake Champlain. They are all worth it. Lake Champlain is awesome.

-Rent bikes for the day and bike on the Burlington Rec Path. It's beautiful.

-If you can visit for the Art Hop, it's really great. Usually in September. Artists open their studios and you see some amazing stuff.

-Check out the local weekly arts paper, Seven Days. They always have the latest info on what's going on -- and there is always great stuff going on -- www.7dvt.com

pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vermont with teen girls

Thanks so much for the quick and detailed reply.

We are looking to go for probably under a week unless we get a phenomenal rental deal. We also need to account for traveling .

We live between Phila and NY and it will take 6.45 hrs to get to Burlington .

How many days would the sites that you suggested fill?

Any suggestions for rentals?

You've been very helpful.

Thanks Again,

Hills

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vermont with teen girls

Guessing the # of days can be tricky. Some teen girls could spend 3 days shopping on Church Street. Some could do it in 3 hours and be bored.

But I'll hazard a guess --

Take one full day to 'do' downtown Burlington. You can take your time. Breakfast at Magnolia (google it, it's good). Walk up and down Church Street and through the indoor mall. Take your time. You'll find a spot for lunch up there. In the evening, take in a movie at the Roxy. Or see if there is anyone at the Flynn Theater that you are interested in seeing. Have dinner at Three Tomatoes, if you like italian food.

Shelburne Museum and Farms is a full day -- again, if you take your time and are interested in looking at everything. They have some paintings by Degas, Monet, Cassatt and more. They are all stunning. There is also some really strange stuff there ... which you'll discover when you get there.

I could spend a week on the waterfront alone ... but take a day for that. Bike the path. Have a picnic. Lay in the sun and read books. Go for a swim. Take a dinner cruise.

Take a day or two to get out of Burlington. Visit Stowe or Jay Peak or Waitsfield or even more working class 'real vermont' places like Hardwick and Johnson ... all beautiful little towns. Drive over Smuggler's Notch. Much to see along the way. Wear sneakers so that you can get out and walk around some.

The Flemming could be done in 4 hours or less.

pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vermont with teen girls

Thanks for the great ideas.

What are your thoughts for lodging?

Hills

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vermont with teen girls

You don't say when you are planning to visit. That will make a big difference in hotel rates, which already tend to be on the high side in Burlington. Less than $200 a night will be achievable most times of the year (except Fall Foliage season!), especially if you don't insist on staying in downtown Burlington. The hotels on Williston Road, for instance, will have more reasonable rates.

pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vermont with teen girls

Hi.

We are flexible - after August 14th. I saw a 1 bdrm condo in Burlington for $600 per wk. Also, with a 6.50 drive from @NJ where's a cheap clean midway point to stop overnight?

Your advice has been great!!!!

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vermont with teen girls

I seldom use a hotel in Burlington so I can't help you much. The tripadvisor hotel reviews will be helpful to you.

I'd love to stay at the Hilton Burlington sometime just because it's right on the lake. You could get a beautiful view and be close to DT Burlington and the waterfront. I don't know about prices.

DT Burlington does not have a lot of hotels, from what I can see. The outlaying areas have quite a few places.

The only place I've stayed recently is the Days Inn in Colechester. It's clean and good service. Inexpensive. The location isn't great but it's a short drive to DT Burlington. They have a good 'park and fly' option for the airport, which is why I stayed there.

The places on Willison road are fine, I imagine. They have a Double Tree and a Sheraton and a Holiday Inn. You can't walk there easily from DT, so you're stuck with your car but that shouldn't be a problem on a family trip where alcohol isn't an issue.

There are some motel/hotels on Shelburne Road which look adequate. Kind of everywhere-America, strip development, chain type of places. The location isn't bad.

I hope that you write a trip report for us after you come home. I think that you're going to have a really nice trip.

pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vermont with teen girls

Hi Again,

I will write a report of the trip.

I'm thinking this condo in Burlington that I mentioned for $600 per week /

$125 per night would be a good match. I'm trying to save some money with breakfast and lunch. When I mentioned a hotel, I was also looking for an

overnight stopover somewhere in NY state - any suggestions.

I want to see some sights but I don't want to be on a hustle and bustle schedule. We were originally considering Canada but I nixed it.

Thank You,

Hills

9. Re: Vermont with teen girls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, July 13, 2013