We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
201 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

Hello!

My husband and I are planning our trip to New England. At this point we're planning to fly into MHT from northern California on October 9th. We're planning to stay in NH a few days making our way to central VT. We're thinking that Lake Champlain area is out for fall folliage by the time we get there (around October 13-14th). Can anyone suggest a great town/area to stay in that is not TOO crowded - more on the quiet side in Central Vermont? We like to hike and bike (road and mtn) and my husband like's his photography. We'd like somewhere central where we can go to the best folliage spots at the time. Afterwards, we plan to head to Putney, Vt before going back to MHT for my husband to fly home (october 23rd) and me to rent a one-way car to NJ where I have a class.

thanks so much for your responses!

~Melinda

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

Hi!

You're right that peak foliage will probably be done in the northern section of the state, but that's all very dependent on the whim of Mother Nature. Most of Vermont is going to be buzzing with activity for the month of October, no matter where you go. If you want to avoid crowds, then definitely skip the more trendier towns like Manchester, Woodstock and Middlebury. I like some of the smaller towns along the Connecticut River like Windsor. Towns like Peacham, Danville, and Barnet are off the beaten path enough that you'll have a quiet time. They are small towns; there won't be much in terms of excitement.

Route 100 runs north -south through the middle of the state, and is considered one of the most picturesque highways in New England. Wing it!

South Hero, VT
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

October 9 could be peak foliage time in northern Vermont., those other people don't know what they're talking about! Peak has been around Columbus Day. I live in South Hero, Vermont in the Champlain Islands, about 20 miles north of Burlington. The Champlain Islands are spectacular this time of year, also not too crowded (though not tons of lodging options unless you want an upscale motel, Shore Acres in North Hero, or bed and breakfast types, but less than a half hour from Burlington. I believe the Champlain Islands Chamber of Commerce has a website with info.

Julie

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

The areas immediately around the lake (the islands, burlington, vergennes etc) have their leaves turn later than the rest of northern VT - the lake keeps the temps more temperate.

Anywhere in VT is crowded in OCT, especially southern and central VT. You may want to look into a non touristy town (avoid Woodstock, Manchester & Stowe). Middlebury is nice, and as mentioned above, so are the Champlain Islands.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

There is no way to say for sure what the foliage will be like on those dates, however, as previous posters have mentioned, the further north and higher altitude you go, the earlier the leaves will change/drop. For those dates in October, if you want to see foliage, stick to the most southerly and lower elevation areas. Though even then you may miss it. I would suggest you stay in an area that offers what activities you want, then if there is not much foliage you will still find plenty to enjoy!

Also, no matter where you plan on going in all of northern New England, get a lodging reservation. I can assure you there will be nothing available on a weekend in mid-October, though the heaviest traffic is the weekend before, Columbus Day.

vermont
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

Check out the Mad River Valley.

great places to stay, resturants and shops... is on rt 100 which runs north to south through the middle of the state.

Rural, still no stop lights yet interesting.

www.madrivervalley.com

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
201 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

Ok, I'm excited now! We made a decision to stay at the Park Light Inn in Chester, VT. The innkeeper was very nice over the phone. We found $100 gift certificates on Costco.com for $79.99 and will be using those to help keep our expenses down. My next posts will be about what to see and do in and around Chester on a bicycle, via hiking and in the car ..!!

~Melinda

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

Chester is a beautiful small town. Have only driven through, so not familiar with restaurants, etc. The Vermont Country Store in Rockingham is just down the road.

Have a great trip!!

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

Just a note..do check that the Inn will take the gift certificates before your arrival. I have found that some that are listed as taking them do not.

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
201 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

Hi Donald,

Yes, we made sure to check. Some of them allow it and some don't. The Park Light Inn was very good about it - not even charging us a deposit. As soon as our g.c.'s arrive we'll forward to them instead of being charged on our credit card.

england
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vermonth Fall Folliage October '06

Hi Melinda ,

What dates are you staying at the Park Light Inn ?, we have booked for the 3 - 10 th Oct and we getting married there too , the Innkeeper has been great with us in assisting with the wedding arrangements as we are travelling from the UK, she has recommended to us to get booked in early for the restaurants we wish to go to , in fact she has already made some reservations for us , she is very willing to help , she has sent us lots of brochures for the attractions/resataurants nearby, would be great to hear what you are planning on doing during your stay .

Alison

I hope you have a great time