We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vermont state fair

Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Vermont state fair

I'm entitled to 2 free nights in Rutland/Killington area that must be used by 12/1, so was considering coming up for the state fair in early September. I have two kids, 5 & 10. However, in other ways, traveling in June would be better for me and my family, especially since I can tack on another couple of days elsewhere. My concern is that there would be little to do in that area in June. Can anyone advise?

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vermont state fair

I am lacking in my knowledge of the Killington area in the summer. I have been there in the winter - but never ventured there in summer time. But I did go to the fair once and it was nice. Love that fair food! I did find this summer guide for Killington. Follow the link. mountaingetaway.com/Guides/…recreation.html It seems helpful. It talks about gondola rides, bike tours, fishing, museums, picnicing, swimming, horseback riding and more all right at Killington. Too much for me to type here:)

You are also pretty central there - if you don't mind driving an hour or two you've got Woodstock, Shelburne, Burlington and Manchester. All would be great day trips.

Anybody know anything more specific for things to do?

Ashley

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vermont state fair

I'm not that familiar with the Rutland/Killington region activity wise in the summer either.

Lake George, NY is under an hour away and has an amusement park and water park. You could spend the day at Branbury State Park (north of Rutland, near Middlebury)and do some hiking and swimming. You could also hike to the ice caves in Wallingford - a place where ice stays all year long.

Pico (near Killington) has an alpine slide that looks like fun.

I have never been to the Vermont State Fair (and I'm even a native!), but can tell you that the kids would love it. Rides, farm animals, cotton candy...yum!

Have fun whatever you decide.

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vermont state fair

OH!!! Lake George, good call vter! Great place and tons of fun.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vermont state fair

If you let us know what type of activities your family enjoys, we can advise you on fun things to do either time of year.

Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vermont state fair

Thanks for the advice. I might consider Lake George. I noticed that the Champlain Valley Expo is also ongoing in late August. As we were considering tacking on a day or so up there, can anyone tell me whether that's worth scheduling into our plans?

Bridport, Vermont
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Vermont state fair

There is also in early August, the Addison County Farm & Home Field Days in New Haven, VT, which wouldn't conflict with schools starting. It is an hour north of Rutland. You can google it or I can get you some more info if interested.

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vermont state fair

It is worth it. It is a large expo and very busy. They usually have some good concerts. The only one I have heard about this year is Keith Urban playing Aug. 26(?) I think. Lots to see in addition to the rides, games and food.

Burlington really is a fun place. Lots to do. Tacking on a couple days up there would be a good time.

Ash