We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in May

tucson
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel in May

We are planning our vacation for 2 weeks in May 2 thru the 16.

What is the weather typically like?

Is there still a lot of snow on the ground?

Thanks George

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in May

There most likely will not be snow on the ground. Weather is iffy that time of year. It could be on the cold side (40-50s) or could be in the 70s. If you want to see snow, there may be some left in the mountains,especially at ski areas where they make artificial snow.

Mass
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in May

Daytime temps are about 62-70, evenings can get quite cool...40ish, even 30's. Doubt there would be any snow to be seen. "Mud season" will be coming to an end as things dry up from the Winter melt off. There has been little snow in the Northeast Kingdom

this Winter. It should be a rather dry Spring.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in May

May is a wacky month, as other posters have said. I recall near 40 degree mornings with heavy frost and a few days later quite balmy. Trees are beginning to bud and the spring flowers are out for the most part. Bring layers with you, sturdy shoes as the ground can still be soggy from mud season and a sense of humor - you'll need it!

tucson
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in May

Thanks for your info. I am hoping it will be green (since we are coming from Arizona) and that the scenery will be nice.

We are planning on starting from the bottom ans working our way up.

Is it less crowded at this time of year?

Thanks George

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in May

May is typically very quiet - early May in particular. However it is one of our favorite times of the year. The sun can be warm, the new green on the trees and grass, the clarity of the rivers and lakes after the melt, beauty, peace and solitude! However it is probably as well to be aware that many Vermont "attractions" do not open until after Memorial day. So if you are looking for anything in particular its best to phone and check.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
tucson
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in May

Wow, thanks for responding. We are getting really excited, it just sounds so beautiful.

We were in N.H. and Maine at the end of last Sept. and just fell in love with this part of the country. I had never seen so much water....the country side was just so over whelming.

I am going to try and figure out where the waterfalls, Covered Bridges, and historical sites are and build our trip around these types of attactions.

If anyone has any additional Do's or Don'ts I do appreciate it.

Thanks so much for all of the review, I can't wait to get there.

Thanks George

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in May

Hi as everyone else has pointed out to you our weather can be strange in early May. Not to many years ago my son's played a baseball game on the 10th of May and went swimming after, the next morning we got and found ourselves snowed in. Granted that was extreme, but it happens.

There are many covered bridges to be seen through out the state. Just in Bennington County there are 5. You should get a copy of a Vermont state map [write to the VT Chamber I believe they will still send you a free road http://www.vtchamber.com/ ] you will find all Covered Bridges marked clearly. The longest covered bridge in the USA is located in Windsor,VT and goes over the CT river.

As to our waterfalls. There are many that you can see just by driving by. You should be warned however that you may not be able to get too many of them in early May. In many cases you will need to hike in to see the Falls and most hiking trails are closed around the state until Memorial Day [we are trying to limit the damage done by travel on wet trails in early Spring].

If I could make a few recommendations in the Bennington County area of the state. Covered Bridges in Bennington there are a few very close together, Silk Rd, Henry Bridge [there is another right there as well, but I can't remember the name]. While in Bennington there is the Bennington Museum, and the Bennington Battle Field [actually about a ten minute drive over the boarder in NY]. Travel north on route 7A to Shaftsbury and you find the Robert Frost museum, and the Shaftsbury Historical society. Keep going north to Arlington you'll the Norman Rockwell museum and two more bridges one in West Arlington, and one in Sunderland. From here continuing on 7A you get to Manchester where you will find Hildene [the home of the son of Abraham Lincoln which is now a museum], the Museum of Fly Fishing, and the Southern VT Art Gallery.

This is getting very long and I'm just getting started. I should stop at let other help you long.

Mentioned in this post
Bennington Museum
Bennington Museum
286 Reviews
Bennington, VT
Norman Rockwell Museum
Norman Rockwell Museum
87 Reviews
Rutland, VT
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Vermont
Vermont
United States
United States
United States
North America
Windsor
Windsor
Vermont
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Henry's Diner
Henry's Diner
335 Reviews
Burlington, VT
tucson
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel in May

Great!, thanks so very much, it really helps when the experts provide information.

I will order these maps today.

Thanks again for the excellent information, George