We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a resort at Christmas time

Boston...
Level Contributor
238 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a resort at Christmas time

Hi All,

My husband and I are looking for a resort to go to around Christmas time. We don't have children, but wouldn't mind bringing our two small dogs, although that is not absolute. We would like an indoor pool/spa. We don't skii...just want to relax and enjoy the holiday! Thanks Carp;amm

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a resort at Christmas time

These places appear to have both spas and indoor pools.

Manchester, VT: Equinox Resort and Spa

Essex, VT: The Essex Resort and Spa

Stowe: Top Notch Resort and Spa. Near Stowe Ski resort

Cavendish: The Pointe Hotel (indoor pool) w/ access to the spa at Castle Hill Resort and Spa.(Affiliated with each other) It doesn't seem to work in reverse in term of access to pool. Verify. No pets at Castle Hill-verify,too Both near Ludlow- Okemo Ski resort.

The 1st two are not in ski resort communities, while the latter 2 are near ski resorts., FYI-in case you want to avoid skiers.

Souhtern Vermont:

Manchester and Cavendish are within an hour of each other in case you wanted to check the alternative.

Northern Vermont:

Essex and Stowe are an hour from each other in case you wanted to check the competition, while in the area.

Pets seem to be allowed at all of the above, except (Castle Hill). You should verify and inquire as to exact policies for each place.

Enjoy!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a resort at Christmas time

I have spent almost every Xmas for the past 35 years at some ski resort in NE/Canada. For my money, the absolute best place is Mt Tremblant. I would suggest actually staying at a mountain (as opposed to a town nearby) because often there is NO snow on the ground at Xmas. I can't tell you the number of times we never saw snow coming from Maryland until the intersection of VT 9/11 near Bromley and I swear that someone sets up a small snow making machine just to get us in the mood because the next snow would be at Stratton. And this can be true at Tremblant even as far north as it is. So any of the places suggested are good and you could add a number of places in Mt Wash Valley like the Mt Wash Hotel or the various Inns in Jackson and have a great time. It is not too soon to look for a condo rental if you are considering bringing pets. I traditionally make my reservations around first week of August.

The Beast of the East (Killington) often has the most snow but would not suggest this for non skiers. Bottom line is you can absolutely get the "white Christmas" experience and ambiance- but not always the last scene with the snow coming down.

Boston...
Level Contributor
238 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a resort at Christmas time

Thanks!

vermont
Level Contributor
97 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a resort at Christmas time

I imagine you're prepared for a bit of rate shock if you're coming right after Christmas. Topnotch at Stowe, Castle Hill Resort and Spa, Stowe Mountain Lodge, all are wonderful and in Stowe you'll have the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping to enjoy (always fun when you don't HAVE to shop but can enjoy the buzz) . The other thought is to check into a rental home in a resort town - lots of options thru online and rental companies. You can even ask them to buy a tree so you can decorate.

5. Re: Looking for a resort at Christmas time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 05, 2012