We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

I live in Boston, and I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been to Vermont to visit a sugar house! And I love maple syrup! I would love to get the full maple syrup production experience from start to finish.

1) Can someone please recommend a place in Southern Vermont that will demonstrate maple syrup production?

2) I understand that the Maple Open House Weekend is March 26-28 this year. Should I go during that time, or will it be so crowded that I should go before?

Here's the link and they have lots of sugar houses listed - it's a bit overwhelming. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

vermontmaple.org/open-house-weekend.php

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

Come during the open house weekend. Get the list out and google yourself a nice little loop with about eight sugar house,and hit the road. It really isn't crowded, and the guys who run these sugarhouses love to see you. Just be ready to spend the weekend on sugar high.

I can highly recomend the places in Bennington County. The two I recommend the highest are in order Merck Forest & Farmland Center and the Mance Family. I would also let you know that many more places put signs outs on this weekend that aren't listed on the web site.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

I don't think the crowds are overwhelming, although it will be busy, I think the sugarmakers gear up for the event and there will be more experiences offered at that time.

In choosing where to go, figure out geographically where you want to be. Use the drop down menu on the website you displayed to see choices by county. Bennington County is in the southwest corner, Merck is to the north and Mance's is to the south end. Towns to stay in with good lodging choices from North to South are, Dorset, Manchester, Arlington and Bennington. Merck is north of Dorset and Mance's is between Bennington and Arlington. Manchester and Arlington are in the middle so they might make the best choices.

If you wish to be in or near Burlington, (Chittenden County) Audubon in Huntington and Shelburne Farms in Shelburne could be good choices.

In Washington County, (Montpelier, the state Capitol is there) Bragg's and Morse outside of Montpelier are well known.

Waterbury would put you between Burllngton and Montpelier and this will put near Stowe (Lamoillle County) and Sugarbush as well.

Thanks for your post. I'm going to title a post referring to the Open House weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Dorset
Dorset
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Shelburne
Shelburne
Vermont
Waterbury
Waterbury
Vermont
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

Thanks for the helpful tips, I'm going this weekend! : ) I can't wait.

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

I'm going to the ones in Bennington and Windham Counties. If anyone has a favorite in those areas - please let me know, so I can make sure to make a stop.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

Merck Forest was already suggested. Check their website. It's a lovely place to spend a few hours.

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

I just got back from (2) Open Houses and wanted to give my trip report.

1) Green's Sugar House located at Poultney Vermont

WOW! It was a wonderful tour - 10 generations - - and a big part of the family was there making the syrup, greeting guests, and giving samples.

We got a tour from start to finish on how they gather the sap from their 5000 trees. Had a tour of all the equipment they used while it was in live production.... (boy it gets hot and steamy in the sugar house - - tip, watch your camera lens). At the end of the tour you go to the kitchen and sample the different grades of maple syrup, maple syrup on snow, maple danish, maple cream, maple cotton candy, and tea/coffee, and maple candy. (free)

We were there for about an hour.

Best part of it - - Quart of Maple Syrup is $14.50 - - everywhere else, including Merck Forest was $20.00 and up! I bought a bunch.

I really learned a lot and enjoyed meeting everyone at the sugar house. I highly recommend this place for the tour and for purchasing maple syrup.

(they give a tour each time a small group shows up, we didn't wait at all)

2) Merck Forest - I would NOT recommend this place if you are interested in maple syrup production. It maybe great for other purposes but not if your intent is to learn about sugar production or to buy maple syrup (more costly at $20 vs. what I paid at Green's $14.50 for a quart).

They have someone scheduled (two times a day) standing by a poster board (boring). And you can look down to a sugar machine - (sure you can get a facial), but that's as exciting as it gets.

I went to their pancake breakfast for $8.00 - and I was disappointed. It's advertised as a "Pancake breakfast" but it was more like scrambled eggs, and sausage with a rubber pancake. The biggest plus was that you could pour all the syrup you want on it - and syrup makes everything better (esp. if it's from Vermont)!

They had a hen coop, lambs, and horse drawn carriages. Also, at the place, they have lots of walking trails, so the place is probably great for a hike, but not the place for a sugar tour or to buy maple syrup ($20).

Mentioned in this post
Poultney
Poultney
Vermont
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

Born, thank you for your trip report. How did you learn about Green's?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

Great report indeed!! Bet it will be helpful for folks to refer to in the future. Cheers!

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

Hi davebvt - this is how I learned about Green's - -

We were driving down 30N, passing through Poultney and spotted a sign in front of the Chamber of Commerce - "Maple Festivities" so we parked our car and went in. I asked the clerk where I could get a tour of an operating sugar house and he recommended Green's & gave me a brochure and map.

By the way- their website doesn't do the place justice. Also, the prices on their website are advertised a bit higher than if you just show up to their place.

In addition to maple syrup goodies, I also picked up "The Official Vermont Maple Cookbook" - - it's a mini pamplet full of great recipes. It was selling for $4.00 at other stores, and at the website for $3.00, Green's has it for $1.00! Lots of cool recipes. I made Maple Teriyaki Salmon today! = )

When I run out of maple syrup, I will be back to Vermont and a visit to Green's! I believe they provide tours year around, but probably best to call in advance 802-287-5745.

Mentioned in this post
Poultney
Poultney
Vermont
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maple Syrup Production - where to go ??

Born, thanks again. Green's sounds awesome!