We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VT in October

Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Topic
VT in October

I am looking for suggestions for VT the first week of October. We'd like to see some foliage, coming from Philadelphia, but we'd also just like to see some of New England. Pretty clueless and could use any suggestions :)

We'd like to do outdoorsy, unique VT stuff, and will have our 15 mo. old with us. Any clues, would be much appreciated!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VT in October

Try the Stowe area. Book something now...it's getting late and things might be getting booked up!

Delaware
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: VT in October

We visited Vermont last year in late Sept/early Oct (also from the Phila area) and stayed at Smuggler's Notch, north of Stowe. It was their off season so most of the facilities were not active, but they did have a large variety of condo type facilities to stay in and the one we stayed in had a pool and outdoor hot tub. The main resort area had a little playground we used quite a bit,too.

We had our 2 year old with us, and he enjoyed Shelburne Farms, near Burlington (we flew in to Burlington and it was only about 20 minutes from the airport). We also drove through the Notch which had pretty nice foliage at that time of year, and rented a bike with a trailer in Stowe so we could enjoy the Stowe bike path,which is a very scenic and fairly easy ride. Another Stowe activity you can do with a young child is drive your car up the toll road to Mt Mansfield. Great views (although the road is a bit twisty - didn't bother my child,but my mother in law felt carsick)

Anyway, hope those ideas help you! We love Vermont!

Too Far North
Level Contributor
324 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VT in October

I would suggest a stay at the Three Stallion Inn, in Randolph, Vt. only about half to three quarters of an hour from Burlington. See what they offer at www.3stallioninn.com

They have bike riding, miles of trails, horses, indoor pool and the most interesting inn and rooms in separate "houses" with handmade quilts on the beds etc. A real Vermont experience. Home of the Morgan Horse.

We stayed here sort of by accident as our car had broken down nearby and went looking for somewhere to spend the night, a dark and rainy one! I was following my husband who was driving his truck, me in the car so at least we had transportation. We saw a beautiful sign and a doll house type building that said Three Stallion Inn and an arrow. What we found was luxury, a great pub for dinner and a relaxing, beautiful view and at a good price. Check it out!

Of course, we would have paid any amount to stay and get our to the rain and get some rest!