We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in early October?

southern california
1 post
Save Topic
where to stay in early October?

We are travelling to Vermont the 1st of October. I am wondering, of the following towns, which offer the most picturesque foliage at that time? I am trying to decide whether to stay in West Dover, or West Townshend, in southern Vermont, or whether instead we should travel farther north to Woodstock. Are any of these places more picturesque and rural/hiker-friendly than others? We are looking for vast wooded areas. Thanks so much.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in early October?

The first of October you'll have to go to Northern VT. Woodstock may be a good base. If foliage is early there, get in the car and head north and within an hour you'll find great foliage.

If you would prefer stay further north, tourists love Stowe-lots of restaurants, lodging options etc. A little quieter is the Mad River Valley (Waitsfield/Warren) but equally as beautiful. All of the areas you mention and the ones I mention above are hiker-friendly.

95% of Vermont is rural - The Burlington area is the most "urban", but even that is stretching it a bit.

Get cracking on your lodging reservations, especially for weekends.