We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best moderate (3-7 miles) hikes in the Green Mountain Area?

New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best moderate (3-7 miles) hikes in the Green Mountain Area?

Will be staying in White River Junction and looking for a few moderate hikes for my 70 year old Mom and me. Willing to travel an hour or so to the trailhead. Varied terrain preferred. Will be there late September.

2 replies to this topic
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best moderate (3-7 miles) hikes in the Green Mountain Area?

What does 'moderate' mean for you? I'll give 2 favorite easy-ish hikes, which would be great for an active, fit 70 YO. And if your Mom is an avid hiker and very fit, a 3rd more challenging hike that's another fav.

My #1 easy/moderate hike in VT is on the Long Trail, along the ridge at the top of Mt. Mansfield in Stowe. Drive up the toll road, then walk/hike along the 2.5 miles of ridge as far as desired. Superb panoramic views - best in the state IMHO.

My fav waterfall hike is the Snyder Brook loop in Randolph, NH. From the Appalachia trailhead on Rt 2 (between Gorham & Jefferson), go up the Brookbank trail.... ~3/4 mile along the east side of the brook. Passes many nice little cascades and 3 falls. Cross the brook above the 3rd waterfall, then descend on the Fallsway trail along the west side of the brook. That loop is ~45 minutes total.... perhaps 1.8 miles, and ~600 vertical feet of gain. You can go higher if desired.

Another fav in Underhill (perhaps a bit too far to drive), is the Butler Lodge loop. That's more challenging....about 4.5 miles and ~1700 vertical feet. Great views for ~50% of the way.

Edited: 2:51 pm, September 18, 2017
New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best moderate (3-7 miles) hikes in the Green Mountain Area?

Thanks!!!

Reply to: Best moderate (3-7 miles) hikes in the Green Mountain Area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted