We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

singapore
Level Contributor
456 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

Hi,

As part of our trip, we are planning to see some slot canyons. We will be there end may or early june.

I have shortlisted some family friendly slots :

Antelope Canyon

Little wildhorse slot

Peek a boo (red canyon)

Kanarra Creek

Wills Creek / Bull valley gorge

Are there other slots that you will recommend ?

Are the roads leading into these canyons paved ?

Will a 4WD be necessary or is a sedan alright to get to these canyons ? We had a bad experience and was stuck in sand once while heading down to a lake..wouldnt want to experience it again ..

Thanks !

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

Good cross section of canyons to explore. Do note that if you have a rental vehicle, whether it's a sedan or a 4WD, you can't technically take it off road. On many of these you'll be fine.

Antelope Canyon and Little Wild Horse should be fine with paved or improved access. Kanarra Creek and Willis Creek are dirt roads but you should be OK with caution. Peek-a-Boo (Red Canyon) is sand and may be a challenge.

I wouldn't spend the money on a 4WD. Even if you have one, if you aren't familiar with using one and don't have the ability to adjust your tire pressures, you can still easily get stuck in sand. Just use common sense and don't try to go somewhere you shouldn't.

Sounds like a great trip.

Have fun.

singapore
Level Contributor
456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

Hi, Thanks for the advice ! Yap, rental car. So, it seems like i can only visit Antelope and Little wildhorse.

One more question, when i was checking the Grand Staircase E.Monument, it seemed like most of the roads are not paved ? Just wondering if i can visit it in a sedan.

Thanks !

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

US89 skirts the GSE to the south and west, and SR12 travels along the northern areas of the GSE. You are right to say that the roads are mostly dirt into the depths of themonument, with the exception of the paved western portions of the Burr trail.

Antelope canyon is one of the most colorful and intricate slot canyons in the area, but you do pay a hefty fee which supports its commercial nature.

You will also want to research the Zion Narrows, which is one of the best slot canyons you will ever find.

singapore
Level Contributor
456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

Hi,

Thanks ! Yes, we are going to Zion Narrows, will be first week of June. What will the water termperature be like ?

Do you think we will need to rent shoes/socks ? Or what sort of shoes should we be wearing ? Will waterproof hiking shoes suffice ? Cos, maybe we will head to one of the outlets to get some proper shoes :)

And yes, was initially thinking of avoiding Antelope canyon, cos there are 4 of us in the family..that's why i thought of Red canyon, but now, it seemed like i will not be able to get to my alternatives..

Thanks !

Edited: 11:21 pm, April 14, 2014
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

It is debatable whether or not you will want to rent the basic canyoneer package for the narrows in June. The water averages about 15 C at that time of the year, but I can say with the relative low snowmelt in the area this year that the water can be a degree or two higher. The basic Narrows package offers you three things. The socks will keep your feet warm. The boots will offer a superior grip for the smooth and extremely slippery rocks that constitute the majority of the river bottom. The boots will also protect your feet and ankles from any lateral slips along the rocks. The hiking pole helps to feel the bottom when it is obscured, as well as provides extra support if you lose your balance.

If this package will be beneficial for you is your decision. I recommend it myself, but there will be plenty of people hiking the river in what they have in their possession, including any type of water shoe or sandal. When it comes to water shoes, a good pliable rubber or synthetic grip is essential. Having a smooth or next to smooth grip will ensure your fall into the river. In any event, aside from footwear, the hiking pole is still valuable to have if you are seriously going to spend a good couple of hours in the river.

You can rent basic Narrows packages from Zion Outfitter, Zion Adventures, Zion Rock Guides, and maybe Zion Mountain School, all of which are in Springdale located on or near Zion Park Blvd. Some places allow you to rent the gear the night before.

I do not know too much about red canyon, but the beneficial feature is that you will see far less people as you have guessed. There is at least one outfitter based in Kanab that can guide you to the area(and more importantly through the deep sand). You can research via www.utah.com for lists of available companies if you so wish.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

You can easily handle Willis Creek with an ordinary passenger car. Don't go to Bull Valley Gorge.

Yes. In the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument are 23 unpaved roads. They were built by the ranchers for the ranchers 75 to 100 years ago. Each are commonly in varying degrees of disrepair.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

One correction: The dirt road leading to Kanarra Creek is closed by a gate. One has to park at the outskirts of Kanarraville ($10 fee, follow signs to Kanarra Falls) and hike down the road towards the canyon. It is a fun, not too long hike, though.

Also the road to Little Wild Horse Canyon is not paved once you turn-off Goblin Valley Road. We've visited the canyon twice, the gravel road always being very well graded, so no problem even with low clearance.

Edited: 3:39 pm, April 15, 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,770 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

<<Also the road to Little Wild Horse Canyon is not paved once you turn-off Goblin Valley Road. We've visited the canyon twice, the gravel road always being very well graded, so no problem even with low clearance.>>

This has apparently changed since you were last there Oli-6. The road to Little WIld horse is paved to the trailhead as of last year.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

Oh, really? Good to know. Thanks for the update!

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family friendly slot canyons and Is 4WD necessary ?

Just to back up Kbec, Mrs. DS and I were there 3 years ago and saw the road construction crew in progress.