We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

My husband and I are flying into LAS at 3pm on March 21st. Instead of driving directly to Bryce, we thought we'd stay one night in Cedar City since we arrive late afternoon. From there, does it seam reasonable to drive to Bryce in the morning and spend one night there--- then three nights in Zion? We may be able to swing a fourth night in Zion as well. Here are my questions:

* Is there a good website or other resource to learn about the condition of the roads at that time?

* We are planning on guided day hikes in Zion and scenic drives, is there anything else we should not miss in Zion?

* If we are going to stay in Bryce only one night, where would you stay?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Teresa

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,810 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

It would be a reasonable plan to stay in Cedar City. As you probably know, you also have a time zone disadvantage from Vegas to Utah. At Bryce, look at Ruby's Best Western (our choice) or Best Western Grand - both right at the entrance. I think the lodge in the park is closed yet in March. UDOT does a good job in road condition reporting at: http://udottraffic.utah.gov/

Have fun.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

Depends on what you are looking for. Ruby's Inn is more motel like with parking right in front of your room and Best Western Grand has interior corridors and a lobby with an fireplace. Restaurants are closer to Ruby's Inn but Bryce is not famous for great food. You will get that in Springdale! If Cedar City is too far you''ll find lodging in Mesquite and St. George. The drive on I15 between Mesquite and St. George is very scenic. (Arizona Strip) Maybe your flight is late and pickng up the car takes longer than planned. I can recommend Holiday Inn Express in Mesquite first exit to the left near WalMart up the hill.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

There are very few guided hikes in Zion as guiding is limited to only a few trails, which you can easily see on your own anyway.

The Narrows bottom up hike can be guided, but only up to Orderville Canyon.

The canyoneering trips that most outfitters do are outside the park.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

Sounds like a good plan if the roads are clear between Cedar City and Bryce. The scenery is great along this route.

Be prepared for cold temps at Bryce. Snow Bryce Canyon is something to behold.

Enjoy your visit.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

There are ranger led activities that look to start in April and run thru November.

nps.gov/zion/…ranger-led-activities.htm

At Bryce, see if there are any night sky programs, like maybe the full moon snowshoe walk.

www.nps.gov/brca

Edited: 4:16 pm, December 06, 2013
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

Looks like the dates this year are March 16.

nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/fullmoonhikes.htm

Edited: 4:19 pm, December 06, 2013
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

Excellent to know! We will be in Bryce on March 21 and 22, but the moon will be almost full at that time so we can enjoy it on our own. Thanks for the website.

Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

Tet14,

thanks for the suggestion of Mesquite. You're right. We may not want to drive 2.5 hours to Cedar city after flying for 6 or 7. We shall take that advice and stay at the holiday inn express.

Dez40,

I suppose we'll wing it and forget the guide since we want to explore Zion. Someone else just pointed out Joe's Guide to Zion which looks very detailed. I'm sure we'll find something that suits us. I suppose I'm nervous about not knowing what to be nervous about! We hike all over the northeast, but I don't know much about hiking in Utah. At least I have 4 months to get it together. Thanks everyone!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

Not sure if you want to buy drinks etc but remember supermarkets in Utah only sell 3.2% beer. (There are State liquor stores like in St. George though) For that reason we always buy our drinks in Mesquite already at Lees Liquor store close to that HI (same road).

Cedar City, Utah
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cedar city/Bryce/Zion question

Glad you are staying a night in Cedar City. It's a great access point to the National Parks and undiscovered treasures along the way. For lodging options visit: www.ScenicSouthernUtah.com.

On your way up I-15 from Vegas stop at exit 40 - Zion's Kolob Canyon. Less visitors and amazing views. By March, the road to Cedar Breaks National Monument will still be closed for winter, but there is snow mobile, snow shoe and cross country skiing to spectacular viewpoints of Cedar Breaks off Hwy 143, (via Parowan exit 75 off I-15).

Enjoy your trip to Utah!!!

Cedar City ~ Brian Head Tourism Bureau