We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
84 posts
742 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

Hi: This coming May we are planning a driving trip thru some of the NP's of the West.

Las Vegas/Bryce, Bryce/Capital Reef/Moab, Arches National Park, Canyonlands/Monument Valley,Monument Valley to either Page or Grand Canyon South, and then return to Las Vegas.

The drive from Bryce to Moab...how long is it...can it be done nicely in a day...with stops to see things? Is route 12 the best route? Is it a good road or alot of sharp curves, etc? I get a bit scarred of heights/curves while driving. Or, is it better to stop in Torrey for a night? Do you think going to Mesa Verde is also a good fit for this trip? Any info will be appreciated. Thank you :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,977 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

Route 12 is possibly one of the most beautiful roads in America. The distance between Bryce and Torrey is just over 100 miles, but this road deserves most of a day to allow for stops and even a few short walks.

We always stay over night in Torrey. Austin's Chuckwagon is our preference. That way we have the next day to enjoy Capital Reef, Goblin Valley and maybe Little Wild Horse slot Canyon on the way to Moab. Or, if Moab time is limited, you can head up to Dead Horse Point SP before arriving Moab.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
84 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

Thank you for the info.

Is Route 12 a good, paved road? Easy driving or alot of height, curves, etc. Thank you.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,705 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

RedRox has provided some great info. Route 12 is one of the most fascinating drives in the world. It's a totally fine, paved, easy to drive road. For sure, the section from Escalante to Boulder has some wide, sweeping switchbacks and you have a section that is on a high plateau ridge. It's totally fine and safe to drive with spectacular views.

This will give you a sense of the drive:

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/7568287710/

For sure you want to spend a night in Torrey if you can and have dinner at Cafe Diablo. Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder is another great stop for lunch or dinner.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,769 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

Hwy 12 is the drive you want to take. Good road the whole way. Kiva koffe house is a great place to stop as well. Check out www.scenicbyway12.com

Also. I don't see Zion national park in that list. Very easy to see it between LV and Bryce. I can't remember if you put how long you have.

Two days for Zion

One for Bryce

One for the drive to either Torrey or Moab depending on how many places you stop along the way

Three days for Moab to see arches, canyon lands and more.

Overnight at monument valley

If you have a full two days to get to Mesa verde and then visit it

One day forPage

Two days for grand canyon

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
84 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

Great info from all the posts. Thank you all SO much.

We are not driving in a 4 wheel drive vehicle...our 5 yr. old Mercedes will have to do the trick. My husband says I am afraid of my own shadow...and I guess I am. I get so nervous on high altitudes, curvy roads, no good road edges, etc. The sights you have directed me to are Very good and Very informational. Tripadivsor is GREAT. So many folks who have been and done that. Thank you again :)

Taiwan
Level Contributor
102 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

Hi guys,

I'm planning a similiar trip next May (starting from Las Vegas). Here's my main concern: Should I reserve rooms in advance? Or just drive to a destination and then try to find a place to stay?

Also, a SUV is preferrable, or a sedan will do?

Any info will be appreciated.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

May is starting to get into the busy tourist season, you really should have reservations in place.You can drive to the National Parks in a sedan.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,977 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

Accommodations can be few and far between in this part of the country. Always book in advance, or be prepared to drive for many hours just to find a place to sleep.

Taiwan
Level Contributor
102 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

Many thanks dez40 & RedRox.

10. Re: Drive from Bryce NP to Moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 29, 2013