We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In and around Salt Lake City

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
In and around Salt Lake City

I will be spending two weeks in Salt Lake this June on business. I will have evenings and weekends free. What can you suggest for evenings and the weekend?

My wife will join me for the second week, and we would like to travel in the area for a few days afterward. What are the best places to visit within a 300 mile radius?

utah
Level Contributor
852 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In and around Salt Lake City

You're not giving us much to work with on what your interests are.

Here's a recent post where things to do around Salt Lake are discussed:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60922-i412-k43236…

Bryce Canyon, Zion & Moab are all great destinations within 300 miles. My favorite is Moab/Arches but they are all great depending on what you are after.

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In and around Salt Lake City

I appreciate the feedback and the thread. I had checked out a few of the Utah threads but not that one.

Our interests are quite broad. While in Salt Lake I am interested in live music, museums, good food and day trips. When my business is over, we have 3 or 4 free nights. I'd like to spend most or all of that time in one place. Water, mountains, desert, historical sites, hot springs all have their appeal. Wyoming and Idaho are not out of bounds. I guess I am looking for folk's favorite places within that 300 mile range. We will not have our camping gear so good lodging is also a factor.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,217 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In and around Salt Lake City

You'll find lots to do in the area. For sure, come on up here to cooler Park City for a few evenings. There's free live music most nights of the week. The big live music night is Wednesday at Deer Valley Resort. You can also tour the Olympic Museum at the Utah Olympic Park, ride the zip-line or bobsled there, same at Park City Mountain Resort.

For the weekend, Moab with Arches and Canyonlands is an easy four hour drive. It will be warm but tolerable. Yellowstone and Grand Teton are a bit further, 4-6 hours, but also do-able on the weekend.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
401 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In and around Salt Lake City

Since Salt Lake City is the headquarters of the Mormon Church you certainly should take an evening or two and make your way over to Temple Square. There are visitor centers and museums that are open in the evening and are free of charge. Also the Mormon Tabernacle Choir practices on Thursday nights and has their weekly broadcast on Sunday mornings. I highly recommend it. For more info look at this link:

http://www.visittemplesquare.com/

Enjoy!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In and around Salt Lake City

For music near downtown, check out the offerings at The State Room and The Depot. For food, look into Eva's on Main Street and the Copper Onion on 3rd South. There are two good brew pubs (Squatters and Red Rock), and two other places with huge beer selections (The Beerhive on Main St and The Bayou on State St). For a good night out at a movie, you can get decent food and good beer and take it all into the theater at Brewvies.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
619 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In and around Salt Lake City

This is a handy little link that shows you all of the events happening in downtown SLC with a calendar that you can search by date/week and by type of event:

downtownslc.org/general-events-info/events

And I don't think Salt Lake Bees games are listed in the downtown calendar, although the stadium is very close to downtown and the games are SO fun (and cheap!). The stadium views are better than any major league field I've ever seen....And very close to the stadium are 2 fun drinking/eating spots: Lucky 13 is a neighborhood bar right across from the stadium, and they happen to have amazing burgers and sandwiches. Meditrina is about 2 blocks south, and is an amazing wine/sangria/tapas restaurant...very unassuming but GREAT food and drink.

Enjoy! June in SLC is amazing...

saltlake.bees.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t561

7. Re: In and around Salt Lake City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 28, 2012