We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas trip

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Texas trip

Hello everyone

As part of an around the world trip in Feb 2014 we will fly into Houston from Honolulu. I booked an onward journey from Chicago to Europe 10 days later. My idea was to rent a car, drive to New Orleans and then travel north along the Missisippi pass Natchez and further to Memphis and Chicago.

We chose Houston as an entry point for two reasons: It has direct flights from Honolulu and my girlfriend wanted to see a bit of Texas. However, it seems there is little interesting and typically Texan to see between Houston and the Lousiana border: Any suggestion on where we could go? The most interesting places seem west of Houston (Austin, St Antonio, Frederiksburg) but those places are not really on the way. Is there any place we should not miss between Memphis and Chicago? Has anyone alternative route suggestions for this trip?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas trip

Note that February isn't the most ideal time to travel up to Chicago due to winter weather, however you may already know that. I suggest you plan on visiting San Antonio and Austin then make a long day's drive to NO to resume your planned itinerary. 5-6 days is plenty of time to make your way NO-Chicago. The Grand Ole Opry in Nashville is on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday which I recommend.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas trip

You are right about the "Hill Country" area of Texas as being more popular. It could also be very cold in February. The Natchez Trace is also a very nice, scenic route, but will be the dead of winter along it.

What are some of your interests? That might help make it easier to route you.

Welcome to the USA!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,932 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas trip

on line PDF catalog..Texas tourism www.traveltex.com

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas trip

Also, post on the road trip forum here on TA for suggestions about places along your route.

You can also google Great River Road, which is the road that follows the Mississippi River through the country. Once on the website, go to the Louisiana section. There is a part of that route that will take you past several plantation homes that you can tour and is more scenic than the interstate.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Texas trip

Subjects of interest to read up on is the Atchafalaya Basin (largest swamp/wetland in the US) in Louisiana. You'll pass through it between Houston and New Orleans.

Though I've never driven it in winter, the previously mentioned Natchez Trace is a lovely, leisurely drive through Mississippi. One caveat: because it's only a 2-lane structure, driving can be a slow-go if behind a slow moving vehicle. There is limited on/off access.

6. Re: Texas trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 16, 2014