We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from New Orleans to Austin

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Driving from New Orleans to Austin

Hi there,

We're driving from New Orleans to Austin in January 2014. We've allowed ourselves three nights on the road to explore Louisiana and Texas. We definitely want to try and include the Covington Brewhouse but am looking for suggestions for places to visit along the way.

Cute towns and good local food and drink is what we are after...thoughts?

Thanks!

C

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from New Orleans to Austin

I'm a huge fan of Lafayette, LA. We travel there several times a year and spend a week at Mardi Gras. Check out the posts in that forum.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from New Orleans to Austin

Carrie--

Octoboy is absolutely right about Lafayette--a great little city, definitely worth spending the night in! If you want to stop for lunch in a small town just before that, stop in Breaux Bridge, LA: http://www.breauxbridge.tv/

IMHO, there's not much worth stopping at between Lafayette and Houston, and Houston may be too big for what you want to see, although we do have St Arnold's Brewery http://www.saintarnold.com/ and Karbach Brewing http://www.karbachbrewing.com/, both of which are definitely open to the public. There are a couple of others that do not have websites (see first result):

http://www.bing.com/search?q=breweries+in+houston&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=breweries+in+houston&sc=3-20&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=edba6c055b084bf8b39abfe079d24b84 Houston also is one of the best restaurant cities in the entire country.

When you leave Houston, there are basically two routes to Austin. The one I'd suggest is directly west on

I-10 all the way to Luling, then head north to a town called Lockhart, the self-proclaimed "BBQ Capitol of the World". There are several good BBQ restaurants there, three of which have been featured on national television shows: Kreutz Market, Smitty's, and Black's BBQ. Definitely worth a stop at any or all three. (This route is a little out of the way, but since you're in no rush, it's worth the time.) From there, it's only about 30-35 miles into Austin.

There are lots of little towns along the way, and since you have so much time, you could always get off the interstate highway at, say, Sugar Land, and drive west on US 90A, which parallels I-10, thus enabling you to stop in some of the small towns. Then, when you get to Gonzales, you'd have to turn north onto US 183 toward Luling.

Have a safe trip!

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from New Orleans to Austin

Amazing suggestions! Thanks so much Gene - we weren't actually planning on going to Houston (thought we would head north after Lake Charles into Nacogdoches) but those two breweries may have got us over the line... Thought we would spend 1-2 nights in and around Lafayette then do a longish stint through to Texas.

So the decision is, Houston or Nacogdoches?! The country is just too damn big!!

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from New Orleans to Austin

Thanks Octoboy! Lafayette looks beautiful.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from New Orleans to Austin

Carrie--Here's the Chamber of Commerce's official website for Nacogdoches (the "g" isn't pronounced, by the way): http://www.ci.nacogdoches.tx.us/ If you're going to Nacogdoches, TX, you could actually go through Natchitoches, LA (pronounced "NACK-i-tush", believe it or not.) It's a little out of the way, but just for the novelty and showing the pictures back home about the difficulties of American pronunciation, it may be worth it.

One usually doesn't hear about visitors going to Nacogdoches, as it's primarily a college town, but you may enjoy it. It certainly would be a totally different experience from going to Houston.

Now if you want a brewery tour outside of Houston, you might consider driving directly through Houston on I-10 all the way to Flatonia, where you'd turn south on state highway 95 into the town of Shiner (roughly 15 miles). They have a brewery there which gives tours, and their bock beer is considered a state beer. When you finish, you head north on that road across I-10, where you'll eventually run into Hwy 71, which will take you into Austin. (This route is only roughly 30-35 miles out of your way if you elect to go through Houston.) If you want a taste of true Texas cooking, you should probably continue west on Hwy 90 (from Shiner) to Belmont, then turn north until you hit Lockhart, as mentioned above. From there to Austin is probably 25-30 miles at most, plus you will have seen some small towns along US 90.

Just food for thought...you'll have a good time whatever you choose. I might point out, however, that Nacogdoches is quite a bit northeast of Austin, so you'd be heading NW out of NoLA to get there, then SW to get to Austin, if that matters.

Let us know if we can help more.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from New Orleans to Austin

That does help a lot! Thanks.

Also appreciate the help on pronunciation!!

C

7. Re: Driving from New Orleans to Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 11, 2014