We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf Coast Help/Advice

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Gulf Coast Help/Advice

We are a group of 3 couples (45-50ish) going on vacation together in September. We would like to spend the last few days on the gulf coast (Thurs-Sun) and perhaps rent a house on the beach. We want to be somewhere that is not too terribly over-crowded and touristy, but also want to be within a mile or two of restaurants/bars/entertainment. So far I am considering San Padre Island or Galveston, but I really know nothing about either - which is better. Any suggestions? Helpful hints? Ideas for lodging? We are from the East Coast and not familiar with the area at all.

If I had to choose today, it would be Galveston simply because it's closer to a major airport in Houston and I assume air fare will be cheaper out of Houston.

Waco Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Bus Tours
Austin Detours
Sightseeing Tours
Discover Dallas Tours
City Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bike and Brew ATX
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,304 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gulf Coast Help/Advice

Galveston will be fine in September. Most tourist are gone at this time so it's quieter, but it's also still hurricane season, too.

There is so much to see/do in Galveston also. You can stay on the Seawall or down along The Strand area. Both have lots of dining options. There are 2 hotels at The Strand, Tremont House and Harbor House. The Seawall has all the chains, plus the historic Galvez Hotel and the San Luis, plus condos, too.

www.galveston.com for more info on everything here.

Airfare may be cheaper, we have 2 airports Hobby (HOU) and Intercontinental (IAH), so airfare could be cheaper at one or the other.

2. Re: Gulf Coast Help/Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 10, 2014