We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas FW to New orleans in a day trip

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Dallas FW to New orleans in a day trip

We ll be travelling from DallasFW to New Orleans next march with my family. Do we have historical or cultural places in the way from one city to the other?. Do we have to see something?

We ll do that journey by car.

Any interstate to recomend?

Thank you for your help.

Gustavo

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas FW to New orleans in a day trip

You have two Interstate Travel routes.

1) I-20 east to Shreveport, then I-49 southeast to Lafayette, LA and lastly I-10 east into New Orleans. Lafayette/Breaux Bridge is the heart of Cajun Country with good Zydeco music and wonderful, flavorful food preparations. I would post on the Louisiana and/or Lafayette boards for more info. Traveling east on I-10 will take you across the Atchafalaya Basin (Swamp) - the largest swamp in the U.S. Unique scenery along the I-10 corridor between Lafayette and N.O.

2) I-20 west to Jackson, MS via Vicksburg, then I-55 south into the western suburbs of N.O. If you enjoy the history of the U.S. Civil War - the battle of Vicksburg on the bank of the Mississippi River, followed by the Confederate surrender was considered a major turning point of the Civil War. The National Park is open daily for a drive through - depending on how many points of interest you stop to explore, you could spend a number of hours.

Traveling I-20 between Dallas and Shreveport, Tyler, TX is the rose capital of Texas with viewable commercial gardens.

That said - the DFW to NOLA drive is 9-10 hours, so if you drive it in one day, it will not leave much time for sightseeing along the way.

Edited: 5:47 pm, January 06, 2013
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas FW to New orleans in a day trip

Karin

Thank you for your advise. I just posted it at Luisianas

I know it is a long trip but we are going to leave eraly in the morning Dallas

Gustavo

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas FW to New orleans in a day trip

We just did the drive at Christmas time. We didn't do any stops this time so the drive was 8 hours. We did quickie stops for bathroom breaks and getting some food....that was it.

We do the drive down 49 to 10. You'll get lots of tips of places to check out. One of our favorite stops is St Michaels church in Convent along the Mississippi River. The cathedral is beautiful inside. And there is a special prayer grotto behind the alter. Plus we like the cemetery with some of the early settlers to the area with graves in French.

Another stop that was a surprise to us is The Cabin restaurant. Read about it before you go. The food is surprisingly good.

If you drive toward Vicksburg instead, the Battlefield grounds are a must see. There is also a small museum in Gibsland about the Bonnie and Clyde ambush. When we stopped in, the son of the sheriff who was part of the ambush was there to tell us some additional history.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dallas FW to New orleans in a day trip

Pepper

Thanks for your tips

5. Re: Dallas FW to New orleans in a day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 09, 2014