We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
186 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

Hi there

I had just about finalised my itinerary when several people suggested it might be worth taking Houston out of the equation. I am travelling with my husband and 2 kids (1 yo and 3.5yo) and will be flying from Hong Kong.

Our flight takes us to LAX and I was planning to fly into Dallas and out of Houston. However, am wondering whether instead of Houston whether to do a round trip to Dallas and if anyone has any suggestions of other places to stop by:

DALLAS/FORT WORTH - 4 NIGHTS

AUSTIN - 3 NIGHTS

HYATT LOST PINES - 2 NIGHTS

SAN ANTONIO - 3 NIGHTS

GO TO HOUSTON? OR SOMEWHERE ELSE?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,554 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

If you give us a little more information on your interests and time of year that you'll be here, we can make better recommendations. Do you like outdoor type of things? Texas style music? Want to stay on a Dude Ranch? Like symphony or opera? Art Museums? Historical? Shopping? Amusement parks? Sit and Relax? Go and see as much as you can? Fancy food or local grub? Swimming? Budget or Splurge?

The more you tell us the better our recommendations are.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
186 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

We love a mix of everything although has to be stroller friendly given the age of our kids (3 and 1years old). So far I had the following itinerary but looking to pad it out as we've decided to miss out Houston:

Day 1: land LAX then catch flight to dallas. Stay in Fort Worth

Day 2: hanging around Fort Worth downtown, likely jetlagged and tired

Day 3: pick up car and drive to Stockyards Historic District

Day 4: drive to dallas and do downtown, Kennedy museums etc

Day 5: drive to Austin via Waco

Day 6: Austin - Children's museum, Zilker park, evening bat filght

Day 7: Austin - State Capitol, Duck Tours

Day 8: Drive to Hyatt Regency Lost Pines for r&r

Day 9: Hyatt Regency Lost Pines

Day 10: Drive to San Antonio via Outlet Malls. Stroll around downtown

Day 11: Seaworld

Day 12: Was planning on going to Houston?

Day 13: ?

Day 14: ?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

I suggest you add the Texas Hill Country to your itinerary. Journey down US281S through pretty farm and ranch land and nice small towns to Johnson City, then take a right onto US290W to Fredericksburg. Spend a night there, then go on to SA. Hit Austin on the way back to DFW or going to Houston, your choice. Houston has a lot to see/do and you could fit it in with the time you have.

Here's my list of things to see/do tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21630-Texas_Tr…

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,119 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

offhand, while in Austin visit Terra Toys.... a great toy store for any age...pretty much an Austin staple

http://www.terratoys.com/

=====

FYI in Waco on the Baylor Universtiy campus are live mascots (Bears) if you have any interest

in addition to State Capital is Bob Bullock Museum..IMAX film about Texas

-----

The San Marcos outlet is one of the biggest in the US. There are actually two outlutet management companies.. Tanger and Premium

The area is very large and can be overwhelming and you could waste a lot of time here......look at each of their websites and see which brand items you want or which type of store...sports, childrens, shoes etc.

Personally, I am not an outlet fan..the prices are not so special IMO... you can find similar prices and better selection by sticking with the traditional stores like Macy's, Dillards, Penny's, Kohl's etc.

--------

www.texashighways.com for articles and events by region

www.traveltex.com catalog of TEXAS on line..PDF

---

If you had more time, yes Houston would be nice to visit..it has lots to offer but in the same token traffic is tremendous, the city is spread out and takes a lot of time to get anywhere...it's simply bigger and more hectic..I'd suggest taking it at a a little slower pace

--------

again, please let us know when you're visiting

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

You don't say when you are coming. The bats in Austin are there from March through about the end of October. Also, if your plans for Austin include a Friday and/or Saturday this autumn, you should check the football schedule for the University of Texas at Austin Longhorns. If they are playing in Austin while you are planning to be there, that will impact price and availabililty of hotels, as well as meaning lots more traffic in general, more crowded restaurants, etc. The last weekend in October is Family Weekend for UT--again lots of visitors, tight hotel availibility; this could impact your plans for the Duck Tour, as UT usually offers this as an event for Family Weekend.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
186 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

Thanks for all the info

We will be there end Oct / early November. I'm making sure we are not in Austin for Family weekend

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,999 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

On you way to Austin from Dallas, you can stop here:

http://www.wacomammoth.org/ This is stroller friendly.

dallas
Level Contributor
37 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

Depending when you are coming - go to the State Fair of Texas in Dallas!!! You must go eat a Fletchers corny dog and all the fun fried food but stay away from the fried beer (in my personal experience - yuck) if that isn't in town when you are, see when the Rodeo is in Houston if you add Houston. Your little ones might like the aquarium in Dallas which is close to the JFK museum. There also used to be a cool huge train exhibit - free - which took up the entire lobby of the Children's hospital. Check into that. Northpark Mall is a good place to shop in Dallas and if I had to choose btwn that and the outlets, I would choose that everytime. Also look across the street from Northpark and there is Saks 5th Ave Outlet and Nordstrom Rack (Nordstrom outlet) Allen Tx which is about 20 miles or less north of Dallas has Neiman's outlet, Coach outlet etc. I would skip San Marcos and to Northpark and the Allen TX outlet. Whatever outlet you go to, go to their website and register for free and you will get coupons. Check into the outlet management office and they will give you additional coupon books as well. In Texas you must eat bar-b-que, especially brisket, Mexican food and/or Tex Mex - your kids will like fajitas and sopapillas, chicken fried steak. In Ft Worth you can try Reata to eat. Go to the Stockyards website and find out when the cattle drive is - daily and free. Also around the corner from the cattledrive is a little restaurant with a lot of outside seating that is right next to a bar. They have a sign or you can ask someone but they make homemade crispy potato chips with salt and rosemary - slap yo' mama. It's called the Love Shack and it's by a bar that I think is called the White Elephant. If you are looking for cheap souveniers, many of the Walmarts and Albertsons have inexpensive souvenirs and tshirts. So does some Walgreens. If you are going to do the State Fair, Northpark, outlet mall, JFK, aquarium, Dallas Children's museum etc, then you might want to stay in Dallas and do a day trip to FW. Btw the State Fair is at Fair Park where a lot of the museums including the Science Place is located.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

To answer your question, I would leave Houston in the mix. I think it is fun and has a lot to offer. Go down I-45 toward Galveston and make a stop at Kemah to visit the boardwalk http://kemahboardwalk.com/ . It is nice even in the fall.

Also, you can visit Space Center Houston http://www.spacecenter.org/ . The 3 year-old will think it is way cool. Lots of interactive activities for kids. My nephews loved seeing all of the rockets and climbing on the Space Shuttle simulator thing when I took them. Plus as an adult, I loved it too!

I personally would not recommend the outlet malls in San Marcos, but that is simply a matter of what you like doing. I am overwhelmed by them and unless you have days to spend going through them, you will have to miss something else in order to give them the time you would need.

Don't waste time looking up the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. It takes place in February-March. However, Hermann Park has a lot to offer for small kids. http://www.texasexplorer.com/HermannPark.htm The zoo and Museum of Natural Science were beloved places when I was a kid and when my nephews were kids. They have only improved with age.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Texas 2 week itinerary with kids

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo will not figure into your plans--it is on during Feb. and March. Likewise, the State Fair ends on Oct. 21, so that seems to be out too. IMO, the State Fair is much better for people older than 1 and 3 anyway. Also, just FYI, The Love Shack is run by celebrity chef Tim Love; check out the pics on the website and see if the atmosphere would appeal to you. While I second the recommendations for BBQ and Tex-Mex foods, I haven't run across too many 3 year olds who will eat chicken fried steak. The adults may want to try that.

If you do decide to include Houston in your plans, the Children's Museum here was named top Children's Museum in the country last year--not sure if that was by Parent's Magazine or some other entity. The zoo in Hermann Park is very good--a couple of newly opened/redone exhibits. There is also a small train which runs a circular route through Hermann Park around the small lake there, with stops at the zoo and the Museum of Natural Science. The HMNS just opened a huge new Hall of Paleontology in June--pretty good reviews; don't know if that would be scary for your little ones or not. There is also a walk-through butterfly exhibit there that is very good. You are given laminated sheets with pics and names of the butterflies you might see--and if you are lucky some will even light on you. There are two restaurants in the area (both owned by the same company) called The Aquarium. One is downtown, the other is at the Kemah Boardwalk. Check out the websites for pics--can be an interesting place for lunch or dinner.