We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ranch / horse riding

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
ranch / horse riding

hi folks

this may be a long shot but does anyone know of any horse riding stables or ranches for rides without a weigh limit. we are accomplished riders but over 200lbs (6ft+) and its often hard

to find places but would love it do a slow ride through the texas scenery. we will be staying in north dallas during our trips.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ranch / horse riding

Try looking at wwwduderanches.com; go to the Texas section. This would give you names of places you could check out. Not sure how many there are near where you will be staying, but it's a place to start. Many of them will be located in the Texas Hill Country, which is closer to San Antonio and Austin--you might want to consider an overnight at one of them if time and budget permit and you find what you need.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ranch / horse riding

Your height and weight are no big deal to Texas horses. They'll think you're Texas cowboys! Try http://wildcatterranch.com/index.html which is about 3 hours west of Richardson where I recall you'll be staying. That's very pretty country in the heart of what was once the 19th century Texas frontier with cowboys, Indians, cattle drives, rustlers, hangings, etc...fascinating stuff if you're interested in the Wild West. Given the distance, I suggest you stay the night there or nearby.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ranch / horse riding

We stayed at Wildcatter 4 years ago...think there have been a few developments to the accommodation since then, but the ethos is the same. It is a gorgeous location and brilliant riding country. If you're an experienced rider in the UK you might find it a bit sedate, but the scenery and terrain more than make up for it. They certainly had some bigger horses then...I rode a tallish paint that would have accommodated a larger rider, and my OH was on a big Belgian/QH.

The cabins are just beautiful, the swimming pool breathtaking and the food...well don't expect to lose any weight however much you ride LOL!

Although it's a dry county if you join their club you can buy nice wine and beer.

4. Re: ranch / horse riding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, April 24, 2013