We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a different Thanksgiving holiday

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a different Thanksgiving holiday

Hi, I live in Houston, and I would like to do something different next Thanksgiving holiday, somewhere near the area (up to 6 o 7 hour drive). I know somebody will help me with New Orleans or Austin/San Antonio and the usual short trip destinations. But I'm looking for something different, those thing where you get surprised that you had no idea that beautifull/fun place was near the area. Those "out of standard" destinations...

Can anybody help me with options?

Thank you!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a different Thanksgiving holiday

Wow...that's a pretty wide open question without a lot of information to go on. Are you talking about a long weekend trip? Is is just you or is it a family with young kids, or a young couple, older couple? What sort of things do you like to do?

Do you like B&B's? You can get into the Christmas spirit early with a visit to Marshall and Jefferson. It's a charming place that time of year with their holiday lights. The lighting festival is the day before Thanksgiving. Kids love the outdoor ice skating rink and adults love the tours of holiday decorated Victorian homes. Everybody loves the lights. I'm not into antique shopping but many like to do that there. We just enjoyed the small town atmosphere and sipping hot chocolate in the old tourist information center.

www.holidaytrailoflights.com/marshall.html

Nearby Jefferson has a train ride and the "Enchanted Forest" you can read about on that website by clicking on the Jefferson link.

Caddo Lake is also in that area. You can take a tour during the day or, for something more adventurous, take a night tour and see some alligators. (I'm not sure about that weekend.)

http://www.caddolake.info/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a different Thanksgiving holiday

You are right, we are open to options. I must say that we are 4 young families with kids. Cadoo lake might be a good option, or a lake where we could rent a house for that long weekend, where we could go fishing or canoeing. We also thought on going to the beach (Southpadre or something similar), but last year we spent the entire weekend in Southpadre inside the house due to bad weather and cold...

We are looking for anything quiet, with a great view, where we can rent a house and have some BBQ's, fishing, biking or similar..

Maybe there are some great lakes near houston where we could do some of these things without traveling too many miles... But I don't know these places..

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,391 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a different Thanksgiving holiday

I like Garner State Park

…state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/garner/

Lost Maples is near Garner

…state.tx.us/spdest/…

A visit to Bandera is not too far away for the kiddos.

4. Re: Looking for a different Thanksgiving holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 12, 2009