We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire & one week in Texas

dublin
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
car hire & one week in Texas

I will have one free week to explore Texas in November. I'm attending a family wedding in San Antonio & fly from Austin 7 days later. What itinerary would you suggest?

I'd love to visit a ranch & maybe stop off in a random small town between the two cities.

Any advice for car hire?

Thanks!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire & one week in Texas

San Antonio and Austin are only an hour's drive apart. Go visit the Texas Hill Country, such as Wimberly, Bandera and Gruene. www.traveltex.com

There are many car rental agencies at the airports. I usually get the best price through Budget.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire & one week in Texas

Look at a map of Texas. Trace out a rough loop, beginning in San Antonio, look northwest to Junction, then east to Mason, Llano and down to Austin, and include New Braunfels and San Marcos between Austin and SA. Within that loop is approximately the Texas Hill Country. Everything within it is within easy driving distance. And you don't want to neglect San Antonio itself and Austin. Those tow cities represent perhaps the best of urban Texas. San Antonio is the old Spanish colonial administrative capital and is where you can find all the cultures that made Texas mixed in one place. It is very much traditional Texas. Austin is very much not traditional Texas, being instead noted for live high-tech industry and live music and very foodie.

But the Hill Country itself, the portion centered within that loop, will likely be much what you think of as Texas. With seven days available, you can do justice to the entire area. Many people spend two or three days in San Antonio and then move to a smaller town, Fredericksburg is popular but is so touristy it makes me itch. Llano and Kerrville are more authentic. The farther to the northwest you go, to Junction and Mason, the more rural it becomes with fewer accommodations and "attractions," other than the landscape. There is also the LBJ Ranch near Stonewall, and there are many wineries in the area.You will be here in a very good season to see it all. The heat will have passed, and it will normally not have become cold. It may rain, but rain won't bother you much. You won't find some parts of the Hill Country all that much different from much of Ireland. Stone fences, a bit more hilly, and not so green.

Because distances are fairly short, you can cover a lot of places without rushing and still have a couple of days in Austin. I wouldn't give Austin more than that unless you're really into crawling a lot of live music venues.

And there is the standard advice on driving a rental in the area. There are a few toll roads. They are easily avoided and worth avoiding, because they cannot be paid in cash and bill the rental company for tolls, and they often use third party agents to handle that, which can incur surprise fees. If you are flying into Austin, you may be tempted to take Toll 130 to San Antonio. Don't do it unless you thoroughly understand how tolls are handled by your rental company. Interstate 35 will get you to San Antonio in good order without tolls.

dublin
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire & one week in Texas

Thank you!

4. Re: car hire & one week in Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 30, 2018