We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked 6 weeks in TN, first US visit.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked 6 weeks in TN, first US visit.

Hi there,

I'm a 19 year old male, (will be 20 at time of visit).

Just thought I'd found out what everyones opinions are of the lovely place they call Tennessee.

I recently booked flights for 11 weeks in the US, 6 weeks in TN, 4-5 weeks for travelling around the Southeast.

I will be staying in Waverly, about an hour from Nashville and Clarksville.

I'll be helping out on various projects with the family who is hosting me. But obviously I'll have my weekends and evenings free.

Waverly is kind of out the way, but it is along the Tennessee river. I wondered if anyone knew of anything that could be interesting to see when I'm visiting. Festivals, Carnivals, Country music, meeting people, anything really I just want to do as much as I can.

I'll be visiting between June and September.

Thanks,

Nathan!

Edited: 6:07 am, February 24, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Clarksville
Clarksville
Tennessee
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked 6 weeks in TN, first US visit.

Hi!

If the U.S. Civil War interests you at all you will be located within a reasonable distance of several interesting battlefields. Chattanooga has a couple of major sites within its metro area. Franklin, just south of Nashville, has a field and some interesting stories originating near it. Shiloh Battlefield State Park is not far down along the southwest stretch of the state border.

The Smoky Mountains offer hiking and touring opportunities as well as touristy theme parks and shopping strips, just a short drive from your base.

The Bonnaroo is a major music festival in Manchester, TN which you will no doubt hear about from other young people in the area. This year's lineup includes Paul McCartney, R. Kelly, Tom Petty, ZZ Top and a very long list of other big names. Dates are June 13 thru16.

Google some of those names mentioned above. Try Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Dollywood for th Smoky Mountains area.

Welcome to Tennessee!

Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Bonnaroo
Bonnaroo
21 Reviews
Manchester, TN
Manchester
Manchester
Tennessee
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Dollywood
Dollywood
13,924 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Eastern Tennessee
Level Contributor
19 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked 6 weeks in TN, first US visit.

Where do you live Nathan?

You'll want to range East and Southeast. Nashville and Chattanooga area. I'm sure the family you are staying with will help out with the sightseeing recommendations. I don't live near Waverly (I live in Bristol, TN) so my help is limited.

Good luck and have fun.

Gawain33

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Bristol
Bristol
Tennessee
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked 6 weeks in TN, first US visit.

I currently live in Lancaster, UK. But am from Cambridge, UK.

East and southeast is kind of out of my way, from where I'm staying anyway. Any sightseeing would be good since everything will be brand new to me.

Thanks though :-)

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Spring Hill...
Level Contributor
245 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked 6 weeks in TN, first US visit.

Gawain33, I think was simply trying to say that east and southeast of Waverly, which is basically the Nashville (Metropolitan Statistical Area),

will be your best bet for 'things to do in Tennessee!' Going west on I-40 toward Memphis, you will find the Tennessee River for boating and fishing, the Shilo Civil War Battlefield, Jackson, TN and Memphis, TN, which speaks for itself!

Nashville will provide the easiest access to activities, sightseeing, music, dining, nightlife, theater, shopping, etc!

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Jackson
Jackson
Tennessee
tennesee
Level Contributor
461 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked 6 weeks in TN, first US visit.

Nathan, glad you'll be able to spend some time in our fair state. You didn't mention if you'll have your own transportation or how you'll get around (unlike Europe our passenger train service is virtually non-existent). Guessing you'll spend at least one weekend in Memphis (blues and bbq you can't go wrong and you do have to do the Graceland thing, can't go home without doing that). Franklin, TN (suburb of Nashville) is an eclectic place to spend a Saturday.

For another weekend trip, I'd recommend Chattanooga (about 3 hr drive or so from Waverly). We've got a pretty lively riverfront area, aquarium, museum, food. If possible plan on weekend of June 7 or the weekend after as that coincides with Riverbend 2013. A weeklong music festival on the river (one price for all week) and an alternative to Bonneroo (which is in a big field (for serious music types - this year your Sir Paul will be performing). For accommodations in Chattanooga, you may want to look into a new hostel (The Crash Pad) - our first and located downtown.

I'm not a big Dollywood/Pigeon Forge fan unless you like crowds. Knoxville offers not a lot.

If Chattanooga is in your plans, will try to answer any questions you have on our fair city.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Graceland
Graceland
15,207 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Dollywood
Dollywood
13,924 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked 6 weeks in TN, first US visit.

Thanks for your reply chatdad.

Sorry I forgot to mention if I'd have access to transport when I'm out there, the answer is no I will not have a vehicle. I will be just 20 years old and therefore renting a car will either be very pricey or not available at all.

I'd like to go to Memphis for the weekend, get a grasp of the atmosphere and I probably will since it's not too far from where I am staying.

I am trying not to rely on my hosts for transport to and from various nearby cities and places, however as you said there are no common rail lines or bus services that travel regularly.

I planned on doing a lot of walking and cycling, I believe my hosts will have a bicycle I can use, therefore closer sights to see and places to go would be more ideal.

I won't be flying out until June 20th so any festivals and such I attend will have to be sometime after that.

Chattanooga is not currently in my plans, but nothing is in my plans for definite at this early stage. It sounds like a great place and I will be travelling to GA, Atlanta twice (once for Vans Warped Tour) and once when travelling around the southeast in my final 5 weeks in the US. I could possibly stop there on the way back or to GA at the end of July.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
7. Re: Just booked 6 weeks in TN, first US visit.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 10, 2014