We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis or Nashville

R J
Level Contributor
136 posts
Memphis or Nashville

Hi there! I have three days (possibly four) to visit Tennessee. I am deciding whether to go to Nashville or Memphis. I could potentially fly into one and rent a car to go to other to fly out but think one way fees may be high. I think a round trip journey would be too time-consuming. So, I am looking for opinions on which city? I have heard amazing things about Nashville. That said I also am keen on memphis bbq and seeing the civil rights museum.

On another note, if Memphis, do you recommend Graceland for someone that isn't overly big on Elvis. I find the history cool but it seems very expensive so torn.

Thank you in advance!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Memphis or Nashville

If it's 4 days you have it is possible to visit both cities as they are only a 3.5hr drive apart.

However you won't really be able to take in what each city offers in that time frame.

Having been to both last year id choose memphis hands down, it was my absolute favorite stop on our road trip of the south.

Gracelands is an absolute must when visiting memphis. Most non elvis fans get converted after a visit.

Sun records is also a must, and of course beale street.

We found hotels in downtown nashville extremely expensive and found there was more to do in Memphis

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,737 posts
505 reviews
2. Re: Memphis or Nashville

Love both but do not stay downtown in Nashville. We stay outside the city and drive in or out at Opryland.

We do seem to drive a lot more in Nashville.

If you stay near Beale street in Memphis you can take the shuttle to Graceland and walk just about everywhere else.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
911 reviews
3. Re: Memphis or Nashville

Excellent advice above. Any other thoughts or questions that will help you make a decision?

R J
Level Contributor
136 posts
4. Re: Memphis or Nashville

Thanks for all your opinions. Sounds like memphis is a winner. Unfortunately, renting a car one way may be too pricey. Thanks again!

5. Re: Memphis or Nashville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 15, 2018