We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in SD

USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in SD

We are thinking of visiting South Dakota in early September. We will have about 5 or 6 days to spend there before we start our drive back to the east coast. We would like to see the Black Hills, Badlands, and probably Mt. Rushmore. I realize 6 days is not a lot of time, but what else can you all recommend that we might have time to see?

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: What to see in SD

I have lived in SD for eleven years. You are wise to spend as much time as possible in the Black Hills. You can easily fill a week there. Devil's Tower is nice, but unless you want to climb it, it takes less than an hour to walk around it. Don't go if you're squeamish about rattlesnakes.

If you're taking I-90, it is worth pulling off in Sioux Falls to see Falls Park. This is a free city park with a splendid waterfall (hence the name Sioux FALLS). If there is a drought in that area when you go, the flow can be lower and it may not be as nice. This also doesn't take a lot of time. A nice way to get out of your car and stretch your legs.

The Corn Palace in Mitchell is nice to look at on the outside, but the inside is just a gymnasium/auditorium.

As far as weather goes, western SD tends to be hotter than eastern SD and you should pack for all types of weather. In Sept. it could be in the 90s or you could see a dusting of snow. Because it is a large state, you can see a temp difference of 20 degrees or more from east to west.

Although it may seem nostalgic to take the back roads, I would stick to Interstate 90 as much as possible once you cross the Missouri. Towns are few and far between, radio stations are hard to get and you will loose most of your greenery. I'm not sure of this, but cell service could also be spotty. You wouldn't want to have car trouble on a two lane road in the western part of the state. Also, the interstate speed limit is 75 mph and this helps you get through some of the empty places more quickly. Think of the Black Hills as an oasis.

USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to see in SD

3174 - thanks for your valuable "insider" tips. We'll be going to Huron and will be passing right through Mitchell, so I'm glad to know we can get by with just a look at the outside of the Corn Palace. We hadn't planned to stop in Sioux Falls, but the falls sound like something we'd like to see. I also appreciate your advice on driving the back roads - we'll definitely take it into consideration. Have you been to the Atka Lakota museum in Chamberlain. If so, is it worth a visit?

13. Re: What to see in SD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 31, 2009