We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June SD Trip

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
June SD Trip

Looking at some other itineraries, I wanted to see any comments about what I have planned so far. Give some back ground we are a couple in our late twenties early thirties.

Fly in early afternoon to Sioux Falls and drive to Murdo. Spend the night and get up early the next day to drive to the Minutemen missles, get tickets, do tour etc. Before or after depending on the tour time (We plan on getting there as soon as the door opens) we will do The Bandlands and Wall Drug. After, we are driving to Custer where we are spending three nights.

The next day go to Deadwood and drive some of the scenic tours both to and from. The third day we'll go to Rushemore and Custer State Park. On the fourth I don't have much except to drive back to Sioux Falls and stopping by Mitchell to see the corn palace. I wouldn't mind having some time to get to see a little of Sioux Falls.

Anything we should see on the way to or from anything?

Mentioned in this post
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
Murdo
Murdo
South Dakota
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Mitchell
Mitchell
South Dakota
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,622 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June SD Trip

Be sure to go online or order a travel guide with map for the Black Hills- it has loads of great info-

www.travelsd.com

At Custer SP eat a great lunch buffet at either State Game Lodge or Blue Bell Lodge.

Be sure to drive the Iron Mt. Rd, Needles Hwy and Wildlife Loop in Custer SP.

The day you go to Deadwood be sure and drive up thru the Spearfish Canyon- very scenic drive.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Black Hills
Black Hills
122 Reviews
South Dakota
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June SD Trip

Welcome to the forums!

Although it would be a longer day, you could head out to Devil's Tower on your "Deadwood day" and work your way back, seeing Spearfish Canyon and then spending a little time in Deadwood.

When you go to Rushmore/Custer SP, you could begin by driving the Wildlife Loop early in the a.m. and then driving Iron Mt. Rd from south to north before stopping at Rushmore. You could then head over towards Sylvan Lake and the Needles Hwy before making your way back to the town of Custer. If time permits, you could drive by Crazy Horse just to get a view.

It's good to see the Badlands and Minuteman enroute into the area.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Mentioned in this post
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Crazy Horse
Crazy Horse
South Dakota
Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June SD Trip

I just like to add possibly the short drive up to Mt Coolidge Fire Lookout Tower while in Custer State Park to get more of a higher view of the hills.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: June SD Trip

Since you will be in Sioux Falls, I would recommend seeing Falls Park. The falls are very beautiful and it's free. Your first day looks pretty packed. You could fit it in on your return trip since your only activities are driving and visiting the Corn Palace. Just a heads up that there really isn't much to see inside the Corn Palace. The primary attraction is the outside of the building, so it does not take long to visit this attraction.

Mentioned in this post
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
Fargo, ND
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June SD Trip

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you're staying in Murdo? I've been to Murdo and you could not pay me to sleep in a seedy motel in Murdo. I would not recommend staying there when Pierre is only a 45 minute drive away...

Mentioned in this post
Murdo
Murdo
South Dakota
Pierre
Pierre
South Dakota
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June SD Trip

I am staying there due to the easy location on and off the interstate since we will be traveling from Sioux Falls and to The Badlands. Adding an additional 45 minutes to an hour drive early in the morning so we can get tickets to the missile site, just doesn't sound appealing.

Mentioned in this post
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June SD Trip

Why not just stay in Wall and be at the Badlands for sunrise? It looks to only be an hour more....

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
917 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June SD Trip

I've stayed in Murdo, it's a fine choice, nice people, good places to eat, close to the Badlands.

Reviews from other travelers feel the same way;

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g54726-Murdo_South_Da…

Staying in Murdo puts one before the Minuteman Missile site, and the Badlands, not after it as Wall would do.

mcatp, you might be interested in doing the Badlands twice, seeing it in the morning on your way to the Black Hills as you planned, and then again on your way back to Sioux Falls. The light may not be much different, but the drive, facing the other way does give a different perspective.

I didn't see any cave visits listed, I'd suggest at least a visit to one, Jewel Cave or Wind Cave.

http://www.nps.gov/jeca/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/wica/index.htm

In Sioux Falls, go to Falls Park.

www.travelsd.com/Attractions/Falls-Park

Mentioned in this post
Murdo
Murdo
South Dakota
Black Hills
Black Hills
122 Reviews
South Dakota
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
9. Re: June SD Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 20, 2014