We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Badlands/ Black Hills

FLORAL PARK
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Badlands/ Black Hills

My wife and are planning a cross country road trip, NY to Seattle in July/ August. Our trip will bring us to the Badlands and Black Hills the week before the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally (something we would like to avoid, not that we have anything against bikers, just don't like crowds). Is it ok to be there the week before the rally, or is it going to be nuts? We're really on a time constraint and can't go another time of the year.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Badlands/ Black Hills

Although I have not been prior to Sturgis, I don't think you will have that many difficulties. From what I have read, the some people do begin to arrive about a week prior. Naturally, the longer your arrival before the rally, the better. Since it's your only time to come, I'd go for it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,028 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Badlands/ Black Hills

If you know your dates then go ahead and book lodging ASAP.

Also look online at the travel guide for Black Hills-

www.travelsd.com

Lots of great info!!

Brookings, SD
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Badlands/ Black Hills

Yes, book as soon as you can. Rates will be high and there will be plenty of motorcycles around as many come before the rally to leave as it's starting and avoid even more bikers. But you'll be fine, just don't wait to reserve a place to stay. Sturgis is half way between Rapid City and Spearfish, might want to consider staying in Spearfish, will probably be a little cheaper and that's a great town to visit.

FLORAL PARK
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Badlands/ Black Hills

I booked 2 nights at Cedar Pass Lodge in Badlands and in Gillette, WY. The rates were fairly reasonable. Thank you all for the great advice, this site has proven most helpful to us!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Badlands/ Black Hills

Actually I don't see the point of staying 2 nights for Badlands. You can visit Badlands and then drive to Black Hills for another night and see more of it. Just MHO.

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Badlands/ Black Hills

Tet couldn't have said it better.....

Black Hills is the beauty..Badlands a nice stop on the way...Maybe Wall Drugs too...A stop at the Chamberlain visitors center on route..view from atop, of the Missouri river and the roving hills of SD AWESOME....

My trip would be overnight in Mitchell (Corn Palace)

Next morning

stop at the Lewis & Clark exhibit (Chamberlain) an hour past Mitchell on I90

Badlands/Wall drug

Hill City overnight (min 2 nights) Dine at the Alpine Inn...

Edited: 1:17 pm, January 31, 2013
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Badlands/ Black Hills

James, I also agree with Tet and Joeman. It seems like by staying in Cedar Pass and then moving on to Gillette, you are totally missing the heart of the Black Hills. However, I realize this is your vacation and you are doing a cross country trip. Maybe this is by design?? I agree on staying 1 night at Cedar Pass and then moving onto Hill City, Keystone or even Custer.

8. Re: Badlands/ Black Hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 02, 2014