We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see and do

Tawas city
2 posts
Save Topic
What to see and do

I will be in lead may 3 til the 10th.. How is weather and what will be open and fun to do. I really want this to be memorable for my family. Bringing my sisters on their first ever vacation out of Michigan. Rented a cabin for 7 days. Ay ideas and must dos will be greatly appreciated and helpful. Plan on seeing mt Rushmore and the badlands.

Edited: 9:43 am, December 30, 2012
Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see and do

The weather in early May is still unpredictable, we've had some big blizzards at that time and we've had perfect 80 degree weather, keep an eye on the forecast. Mt. Rushmore & the Badlands visitor center will be open. Some of the smaller attractions may not have opened. The entrance to Spearfish Canyon is near Lead, Roughlock Falls & Spearfish Falls are short pretty hikes at Savoy.

Mentioned in this post
Savoy
Savoy
South Dakota
Tawas city
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see and do

Thank you. Anything that would make it unforgettable? Plan on going to devils tower also. Best times to see wildlife. Thank you for your help

Edited: 10:26 am, December 30, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,630 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see and do

Be sure to go online or order a travel planner for the Black Hills at-

www.travelsd.com

We were there in late May in 2008 and it warmed up nicely in the daytime but was freezing cold at night. We did the Mt. Rushmore night ceremony and had gloves, hats and heavy jackets but we were still cold- it was in the upper 20's.

Custer SP is your best place to see wildlife imo. Eat lunch at either the State Game Lodge or Blue Bell Lodge- they have a delicious buffet.

Mentioned in this post
Black Hills
Black Hills
122 Reviews
South Dakota
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see and do

Best times to view wildlife are early in the morning or right around dusk. However, on the wildlife loop in Custer State Park, I've seen animals at just about anytime of the day. The begging burros are so much fun. Be sure to take apples or carrots for them. They are always looking for a handout and will even put their heads in your car if its warm enough to have the windows down. As Lorhs and Peachbelle said, weather can be hit or miss in May.

Other unforgettable things you have not mentioned for me...

Jewel and Wind Caves, if your party is not fearful of being underground.

Crazy Horse..truly amazing and should be seen at least once by everyone.

Sylvan Lake at Custer SP

Although I've only seen pictures, many say a sunset or sunrise at the Badlands is unforgettable, particularly if you are a photography buff.

Please feel free to ask more questions. Enjoy your trip planning.

Mentioned in this post
Crazy Horse
Crazy Horse
South Dakota
5. Re: What to see and do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 05, 2014