We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pierre to badlands and back

NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
pierre to badlands and back

my daughter and i have got a short trip to pierre coming up to do some historical research in the archives in pierre. i have wonderful childhood memories of the badlands and would love my daughter to see them in person.

how feasible/worthwhile do you think it would be to drive out from pierre around lunchtime to do the rte 240 loop (maybe hit the prairie homestead, too) and come back to pierre that evening (we want to be in De Smet on sunday)? the other choice might be to stay overnight in the badlands area and do the long drive to De Smet on sunday...

we'll be in south dakota nov 8-12

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pierre to badlands and back

Weather permitting, I think it would be feasible to do a long daytrip. It wouldn't be too much different than heading to Devil's Tower from Keystone or Hill City in the Black Hills. I don't think I'd stay overnight in the Badlands, as it looks like it would take you close to 5 hours to get back to DeSmet.

If the weather is looking ok (you never know in November), get an early start, and it looks like you'd be there in a little over 2 hours. A lot of the drive will be on I90,which will should be a smooth go as long as there is no inclement weather.

NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pierre to badlands and back

thanks! i checked some lodgings out in the badlands online, and it looks like many/most will already be closed for the season, so i guess heading back east after sundown makes sense!

3. Re: pierre to badlands and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 23, 2013