We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Hills Lodging

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
647 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Black Hills Lodging

We are planning a vacation to the Black Hills area. Our first night will be spent somewhere near Chamberlain (a long drive in from Omaha). I thought we would spend the next night in Badlands Park at one of their cabins for the rustic experience. I would then like to have one "homebase" for the remainder of the vacation. We will be seeing all the expected sights in the Black Hills (Rapid City, Custer State Park, Mt. Rushmore, Lead, Spearfish, etc) as well as making a trip into WY for the Devils Tower. Would would be the best town to stay in? We are not looking for any nightlife at all - plan to stay busy during the day, and go to bed early. An indoor pool would be nice for the kids (10 and 12), but not necessary. I would like to pay not more than the low 100's a night. I was thinking of the Best Western Four President's Lodge in Keystone. Would this be too out of the way? Thank you very much!

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Hills Lodging

Without a doubt,Hill City.A very quiet charming little town. Perfect central location to visit Mt rushmore,Custer State Park,Crazy Horse Monument and Deadwood.

Keystone a tourist trap(worst dining)

Rapid City to far away.

Custer so and so......

If you decide to stay here,DO not miss the ALPINE INN for dining.(AWESOME)

We will be visiting here in Sep for the 4th

time and will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express and looking forward to visiting all these marvelous sites and dining at the incredible ALPINE INN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great trip........

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Hills Lodging

The cabins in the Badlands are rustic but you can't beat the price or the view-just don't expect much more than beds and a bathroom. Have stayed there twice and would do so again. In the Black Hills, anywhere in Custer, Keystone or Hill City should be fine. Rapid City is out of the way and just your typical town. Keystone does seem a little busier and tourist-trappy (is that a word?). Have stayed at the Bavarian Inn in Custer before and enjoyed it. Last trip stayed at a cabin in Custer State Park. We just had the one room sleeper cabin but my in-laws were in the 2 bedroom which had a kitchenette and I could see spending several nights there. We stayed at Legion Lake (there are 3 other lodges)and there is no pool but there is a beach at the lake. Believe we paid 90/night for the 1 room and it was $110 for the 2 room last summer.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Hills Lodging

Hill City is our favorite town to stay for a while.

Watertown, SD
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Hills Lodging

Stayed in a cabin just outside of Hill City last summer, it was great. They did have a outdoor heated pool and horseback riding, four wheeler rental and it was next to the Mickelson Trail for biking, walking. Their are many cabins around the area. This was the first time I had been in Hill City and would choose it over Keystone. Check out the 50's diner downtown Hill City, too.

New York
Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Hills Lodging

I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Hill City. I think it was a perfect location and would recommend the hotel to you with out a doubt. They do have an indoor pool and also free breakfast, which happened to be very good. I would choose this over keystone anyday!!!