We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rapid City, Custer, and/or Hill City?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rapid City, Custer, and/or Hill City?

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and found some great info for our summer 07 trip. We're saving up our choice priviledge points for 8 nights at a Comfort Inn which is in all 3 of these towns. Would it be best to split our stay and start out in Rapid City for a few nights to see the Badlands & Devil's tower? Then move to Custer or Hill City (which one?) for Mt Rushmore, 1880 train, Custer Park, Caves, Black Hills, and Hot Springs? Or any better plan of cities with a comfort inn close to what we want to see? We'd also be open to renting a cabin if I could find one for under $500/week but all I've found so far is the same price as the hotel room and I know we'll have earned enough points for 4-5 free nights by then.

Thanks, Jen

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rapid City, Custer, and/or Hill City?

It's really a toss up between Hill City and Custer. I would slightly prefer Hill City. I'd give Hill City's downtown an edge over Custer's.

Rapid City is less of a tourist town although there are plenty of places to visit. Yes, it is closer to the Badlands and if you are going to spend time in town (visiting places like downtown and the Journey Museum), consider staying here. If you're just going to pass through between the Badlands and your attractions listed in your post, I would not stay in Rapid. If you need a Wal-mart, Safeway or a shopping mall this is where you'll have to go.

You may want to consider splitting your trip between the northern and southern Black Hills instead of Rapid City/Hill City. The Comfort Inn in Deadwood is fairly new and has nice rooms--I stayed up there about a month ago. I don't think there's a Comfort Inn in Spearfish but there is a Quality Inn--whether your points transfer or not, I'm not sure. Spearfish is a nice town of about 10-12,000--probably the nicest town in the Hills. While in the northern Hills you can make your trip to Devil's Tower, spend time in Spearfish Canyon, take an off-the-beaten-path excursion to a place like Cement Ridge lookout and, of course, spend time in Deadwood.

I can't really help you out with a cabin. I've only stayed at in a cabin at the Sylvan Lake Lodge--it was decent in what I would say is the best location in the Hills but it's going to be over $100/night. You can check by googling for custer resorts.