We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Across SD

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip Across SD

Have preliminary itinerary mapped out for the SD portion of our trans USA road trip.

Day 1: Sioux Falls to Pierre via I90 and Native American Scenic Byway.

Day 2: Pierre to Rapid City via Badlands Scenic Loop.

Day 3: Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood to Hill City

Day 4 : Mount Rushmore and the Route 16A loop

Day 5 : continue west.

Would we have time to do other things in the afternoon of Day 3 or should we just take it easy just driving the canyon and walking Deadwood?

I know it is rushed but that’s the way it is.

Thanks for any advice.

3 replies to this topic
The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Across SD

You don't mention where you are staying. That can have an effect on drive times.

You could switch Day 3 and Day 4. Do Spearfish Canyon and Deadwood on your way out. You'll be closer to the interstate.

Interested in any cave tours, like Jewel or Wind Cave? I'd suggest the Wildlife Loop but if you're going to Yellowstone, you'll see plenty of wildlife there.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Across SD

Thanks.

We are heading for Salt Lake City after SD so unfortunately Yellowstone is out.

We intended to stay somewhere just off the I90 in the Rapid City area before heading for Spearfish the next morning. Our trip from Pierre will take some time due to the Badlands loop. It won’t be a matter of just driving through. Lots of photographs will be taken by the OH I imagine.

Then it would be 2 nights in Hill City

Not really into caves but will check those two out. Someone suggested the Crazy Horse memorial but there are greatly divided opinions of the worthiness.

In any case we are more into scenery than icons.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Across SD

Crazy Horse is something everyone should see once, IMO. This especially applies if you like Native American history. The exhibits are great, and the history behind the monument is very interesting. You will many who say it's overpriced, but I admit I really don't understand the reasoning there. If you have a family, they base the admission by the carload.

Reply to: Road Trip Across SD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted