We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palisades State Park

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Palisades State Park

Palisades State Park looks like a great place for photography, but my wife is still recovering from surgery last winter and has limited stamina. How much could she see without walking more than a few hundred feet?

How much farther are the best photo ops? She doesn't mind waiting in the car for a while, but I don't want to make her do that for a long time.

Does anyone have suggestions for other unique photo oportunities in far southeast South Dakota?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Palisades State Park
Palisades State Park
84 Reviews
Garretson, SD
South Dakota
South Dakota
United States
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Palisades State Park

It's been a while since I've been to that park, so I had to take a look at the map to refresh my memory.

You can drive to the trail head for King and Queen Trail. When I say "trail", this is a very short, flat walk on a dirt path. I think she could handle that one. Then, there's a picnic area up on the bluff that overlooks the gorge where Split Rock Creek flows. I don't think there's any steps involved with that one, either. One caution about King and Queen Trail: the creek flows parallel to the trail and it's deep water. Be careful about falling in. Also, I don't know if you swim, but the swimming hole in that park is an outlaw hole with deep spots. They just had another drowning there.

A short drive from Palisades State Park is Devil's Gulch Municipal Park on the edge of Garretson. It's free. There's a very small visitor's center (one room cabin) and then there's a metal foot bridge that goes over the gorge. Your wife could go as far as the foot bridge. After that, it gets hilly. Note: the Jesse James legend associated with this park has been debunked.

Not in SD, but just across the border in MN is Pipestone National Monument, which is well worth your time. The trails there are pretty easy (I'm a walker, not a hiker) and if your wife starts and doesn't like it, she could double back to the visitor's center, which is a large, nice, air conditioned facility. It's a very pretty little oasis with an interesting history.

Sioux Falls has Falls Park, with many flat paved paths. It's probably the most scenic spot in the state outside the Black Hills and Badlands. Definitely stop there.

If you are into bridges, Yankton has converted the old US Highway 81 bridge (Meridian Bridge) into a pedestrian walkway.

Edited: 11:25 pm, June 20, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Palisades State Park
Palisades State Park
84 Reviews
Garretson, SD
Deadwood Gulch Resort
Deadwood Gulch Resort
808 Reviews
Deadwood, SD
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Yankton
Yankton
South Dakota
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palisades State Park

Thank you so much! Great response.

3. Re: Palisades State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 23, 2018