We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Question: Custer or Hill City Holiday Inn?

Yorkville, Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Question: Custer or Hill City Holiday Inn?

We will be visiting during 4th of July weekend...first time!

I am trying to narrow down lodging and am debating on either the Holiday Inn in Hill City or the one in Custer. Which one has a better location for sites? Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Mentioned in this post
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Question: Custer or Hill City Holiday Inn?

Hill City and Custer are both equally good for the sights in the area. I'd base my choice on the hotel amenities, availability and price.

Mentioned in this post
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Question: Custer or Hill City Holiday Inn?

Custer has fireworks on the 4th and a celebration all weekend long: visitcuster.com/chamber/events/fourthofjuly/

Custer is also home to, IMO, one of the best restaurants in the Black Hills: https://www.blackhillsburgerandbun.com/

Mentioned in this post
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Question: Custer or Hill City Holiday Inn?

I prefer Hill City. It's a good central location with a cute vibe. I agree, though if the hotel in Custer rates better or costs less, that would be OK.

Mentioned in this post
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Question: Custer or Hill City Holiday Inn?

Your answer might be determined by which one has a vacancy. Things book up fast for the 4th of July so I would make a decision quickly.

One of best restaurants in the hills is the Alpine Inn in Hill City, if you like a great filet mignon at an extremely reasonable price. Just be aware that they have some quirky rules, like cash only, no reservations, limited dinner menu, and closed on Sundays.

http://www.alpineinnhillcity.com/

Edited: 5:19 pm, June 02, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Question: Custer or Hill City Holiday Inn?

Custer has the best burgers (Burger and Bun) I have ever tasted while the the Alpine Inn in Hill City has a very excellent,reasonable priced filet dinner, with outstanding deserts. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Hill City a few times and breakfast was very good.Quality Inn in Hill City another great hotel.

Been here a lot of times and always stayed in Hill City. You are pushing the envelop big time my not securing a room by now. Gut feeling you won't get your choice of hotels especially for the 4'th. Either location would be great..night time driving in the Black Hills, your eyes glued to the road lots of wild life wondering about.

Mentioned in this post
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Question: Custer or Hill City Holiday Inn?

There's a brand new Comfort Inn in Hill City that opened in the past few months. You might check that out if you decide on Hill City. Hill City would be my choice as well, as it's just a little more centrally located in my eyes.

You also have Prairie Berry Winery if you enjoy wine tasting. That is also in Hill City.

Mentioned in this post
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Prairie Berry Winery
Prairie Berry Winery
476 Reviews
Hill City, SD
7. Re: Lodging Question: Custer or Hill City Holiday Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 04, 2018