We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach HELP for South Carolina Family Vacation

cck13
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beach HELP for South Carolina Family Vacation

We are wanting to take our 17 year old daughter and 13 year old sun on a vacation before our daughter goes off to college. We are going the first full week of July. We have about 8 1/2 days and 8 nights. We have found that we are still able to find places at such late notice, but we can't decide which beaches to focus our searches on. We have gotten recommendations for Edisto, Isle of Palms, Pawleys Island, Litchfield, and against Myrtle Beach due to the tourist feel. We would like to visit at least 2 different beaches, and would love advice on which ones, they don't have to be the ones I listed above. We really just want a relaxing vacation for the last hurrah with our daughter before she goes off to college in the fall. Please help in any way you can! Thanks!!!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,173 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach HELP for South Carolina Family Vacation

All of the beaches you mention are lovely.

Edisto will feel the most natural and remote. The others are a little more developed, but still with plenty of wide open nature. Isle of Palms is very close to Charleston, so you could enjoy staying at the beach, but visiting the beautiful historic city. You should also consider Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island for a family beach vacation near Charleston.

I am curious: Why do you want to split your trip between two beaches? It seems like it would be more comfortable to settle in at one beach with your family. Also, most homes and condos rent only by the week in summer. With 8 1/2 days, you could stay at the beach for a week, and maybe spend the extra days in Charleston.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach HELP for South Carolina Family Vacation

I agree w/Villa, you have lots of great choices and the best deal would be to stay for the week at one of the beaches. IOP, Kiawah & Seabrook are the most centrally located of those which have been mentioned. If you really had to (which you might change your mind about) you could make a day trip to Pawleys Island or Edisto (both are a good distance to leave in a.m., dawdle your way to your destination, have lunch then look around a little before heading back to whereever you choose to stay). Day trips to Charleston are fun, with tons of sightseeing and great restaurants.

Kiawah and Seabrook are very, very green and bike friendly, with Kiawah having 10 miles of uninterrupted beaches that are perfect for biking and never crowded. There is one hotel on Kiawah, none on Seabrook, most people rent private homes or villas for their stays. Definitely laid back, relaxing places.

Enjoy!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach HELP for South Carolina Family Vacation

I agree with both "kiawahs" - stay in one place for the Sat-Sat stay (easy and less expensive than hopping around) and just day-trip the other beach. Although I love a lot of things about Pawleys and Litchfield, I think you'd be much happier staying at IOP with 2 teenagers (among many other things, there's a convenient movie theater nearby). If you stay on IOP you can day trip to Sullivan's (5 min away) or even visit Kiawah and Seabrook one day AND visit Litchfield and Pawley's another day, which I love because of Murrells Inlet - a really fun place to have dinner. IOP is pretty centrally-located and the resort "Wild Dunes" has a very safe, quiet private feel yet is close to all of the action.

4. Re: Beach HELP for South Carolina Family Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, December 03, 2009