We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

South Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

We will be in the Northern half of South Carolina (north of Columbia) - and the southern part of NC - (south of Charlotte) - in late May. We can not really find much info. on this area! What should we do/see in Northern SC particulary? We would love to take a scenic drive or two! Any suggestions for overnight stops between Columbia and Charlotte - an interesting historic town or pretty region - soemthing like that? If anyone can suggest a scenic/interesting route from Columbia to Raleigh, NC (our ultimate destination) that would be awesome - we would use it as a guide - we have plenty of time so it does not need to be the quickest way at all! FYI - we will be in Charlotte (in the city itself)later so are not really looking to be in Charlotte for this portion of our trip, but would like to hear about the area around Charlotee maybe - if there's nothing of interest in nothern SC, that is! (But there has to be!) Thanks much!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

If you are an AAA member, your local office should be able to help you design a scenic route. If you have the time, I recommend heading north and west into the mountains of North Carolina, before turning east to Charlotte and Raleigh.

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

Definitely see the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC - plan to spend at least 1/2 day. Any drive this time of year along the Blue Ridge Parkway will be rewarding. If you enjoy religious art, Bob Jones University in Greenville houses the largest collection of religious art in the Western Hemisphere. Quite amazing - even if you are not among the deeply faithful. There isn't much between Columbia and Greenville, but a quick stop in Newberry will give you a look at a real, small Southern Town, and you can visit the Newberry Opera House (historic, interesting). Do be sure to sample barbecue - different sauces in SC and NC. In Greenville, I recommend Henry's Smokehouse on Wade Hampton Boulevard. Around Columbia, you should stop for Maurice's Barbecue (just north of Columbia on I-385). Outside of Asheville, stop by Lake Lure, and spend a little time in Chimney Rock State Park. Greenville downtown Main Street is definitely worth a night. From one end of tree-line Main Street to the other, great restaurants, bars, free entertainment, Reedy Falls Park with waterfalls, lots of people - all within about 8 blocks - you will love it. You really shouldn't miss it. In Simpsonville, just South of Greenville on I-385, if you are around during Memorial Day, stop at Heritage Park and see the Hot Air Balloon Festival. Fun! And if you want to come see me - stop by any of my active adult communities in Greenville, Simpsonville, Spartanburg or Rock Hill! Go To www.mysouthstyle.com to see them. I'd love to hear about your trip. Writing this has made me want to take a couple days off and head for the mountains myself. Have a Great and Safe Journey. Ruth

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

Another thought: Between Greenville and Spartanburg on I-85 (maybe 10 minutes out of Greenville) you can tour the BMW plant.

South Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

Thank you so much! This is SO helpful! Also can you tell me about anything about the area around route 321 - directly north of Columbia - towards the NC border? Thanks!

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

Northwest South Carolina is beautiful. Many waterfalls and mountain vistas. Highway 178 or 276 are both beautiful drives. The state parks there are really nice.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
157 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

FYI The Biltmore Estate is NOT on the route from Columbia to Raleigh. Forty Acre rock is a pretty cool place near Lancaster, which is north of Columbia.

South Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

thank you for this - it is REALLY helpful!

Greenwood, South...
Level Contributor
217 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

Sudsysarah,

So far all of the posters' comments are accurate (except that the Biltmore is not on the way to Charlotte, but due north of Greenville on I-26).

If you are staying on the 26 and 85 interstates, well, you'll just miss one heck of alot! There is SO MUCH off the beaten path to northern SC (known as the UPSTATE to all of us).

In Columbia, DO EAT AT MAURICE's . . . for the true authentic mustard-based BBQ that SC is famous for. We served this at our daughter's wedding reception and all of our northern guests could not get enough. There are about 10 locations and you'll see the billboards. If you go to the original location, you will see lots of southern cultural literature which is very interesting.

The Newberry Theatre is cool if you can get off the interstate for awhile. This theatre and the Abbeville theatre were places where the Zigfield Follies and Jimmy Durante performed long ago.

Abbeville (way off to the west of the interstate is where the Confederacy was formed and ended. It has numerous old antebellum homes and a very quaint town square with the old bricks on the roads.

Greenville's downtown is absolutely a point of pride and beauty. It has drawn a lot of attention for its tree-lined, boutique-filled, bistro-lined main street....and now with the new Reedy River Falls park...just lovely! Go have lunch in Greenville and walk main street.

Bob Jones University does have a huge art collection, but many people find the institution's political and religious positions too offensive. We personally would never pay one cent to the organization no matter what artwork is contained within its walls. In fact, we're quite ashamed that it is in our wonderful state. But whatever floats one's boat....

Charlotte has a LOVELY mall called SouthBend or South-something.....very upscale with Neiman Marcus and designer boutiques.

If you can take some of the scenic 2-lane roads through the gorgeous foothills of the Blue Ridge. Just north of Greenville (on I-26) is the only rainforest area in the United States! The rain comes up on the west side of the mountains and then just dumps down on the east side of the mountains.....many million dollar plus homes dot the mountainside.

Enjoy!

South Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

AWESOME!!! Thanks so much!

Greenwood, South...
Level Contributor
217 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone 'know' Northern South Carolina!?

You are very welcome! Enjoy the Upstate.

Also on the way to Charlotte is an outlet mall in Gaffney. If you are into china and dishes, the famour "Replacements" is north of Charlotte.

If you get off the freeway in NC, the zoo in Wilmington, I believe, is supposed to be great.

If you like pottery, Seagrove, NC (known as Jugtown) is a four to five generation pottery town that's been there since landing. There is something special about the soil that beckoned hundreds of potters to the site. Really great pottery.

Have fun!!!!