We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would be best town/area in RI for vacationing w/2 teens

Vermont
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What would be best town/area in RI for vacationing w/2 teens

Hi, want to explore RI in August,,,, a beach town as my son LOVES waves and the ocean.

Never have been, is there a town or area that would offer more fun stuff for he and his friend?

Amusement park or water park? bike paths with rentals? Mini golf? Of course the beach that was really nice and had waves or good chance of waves would be great. And last of course is a place that has good choice of eateries with decent prices. I think from what I hear Newport might too "fancy" for us, we're just wanting down to earth fun and recreation. Thanks so much!!!

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would be best town/area in RI for vacationing w/2 teens

I think that you should re-think Newport first. As a local, I appreciate the many things that Newport has to offer that appeal to everyone. The Cliff Walk, Ocean Drive, Thames Street and all of the various wharves, each with their own unique style, Goat Island, the Harbor, the gorgeous beaches nearby in Middletown. These are all free with the exception of parking at the beaches in summer.

Rent bikes and cycle on Ocean Drive...

If your kids don't like the waves at Second Beach, I'll eat my hat!

While there are upscale restaurants, there are many eateries that we all enjoy all year long that won't break the bank. Narragansett Bay is our waterpark..............get your kids some sailing lessons while here and start a new tradition. Better yet take the whole family out on a fishing trip.

There now I've said my piece!

If you are dead set against Newport, you could also look into Narragansett, Jamestown, Westerly and Watch Hill.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would be best town/area in RI for vacationing w/2 teens

Emily C is so right! If anyone wants to take surfing lessons, however, Warm Winds in Narragansett is the place. Otherwise, Newport, Newport, Newport. Have fun!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
46 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would be best town/area in RI for vacationing w/2 teens

The town of Narragansett sounds like a nice option for your family. Narragansett Town Beach has great waves and daily surf lessons that include the rental of the boards. Narrow River leads to the other end of the beach where you can kayak and paddle board (standing on the board with paddles). There are mini golf courses, go-kart courses and fishing expeditions close by (within a few miles) in the town of Narragansett. It is a nice beach town with some family friendly pubs with music in the evening. Sorry to say, there are no amusement parks nearby. I don't know of any in RI.

Vermont
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would be best town/area in RI for vacationing w/2 teens

Thanks Kris, that sounds great, I love that you can try surfing!! I appreciate the info.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
46 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would be best town/area in RI for vacationing w/2 teens

We used Narragansett Surf & Skate Shop for the lessons and have been very happy with them. They sometimes offer groupons, so try that if you are definitely going to take lessons. Have fun!

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would be best town/area in RI for vacationing w/2 teens

I would think Misquamicut would have everything you are interested in. Great breadth of restaurants with the ones in Misquamicut, Watch Hill, Weekapaug and Westerly (all part of the town of Westerly). Beautiful beach, great waves, water park, arcade, mini golf, etc. Check out the Pleasant View Inn if you want to be on the beach, or the Breezeway if you don't mind being a couple of blocks away.

7. Re: What would be best town/area in RI for vacationing w/2 teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 14, 2015