We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to exton for work- need info re surrounding area

florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
going to exton for work- need info re surrounding area

hello all

I am giong to exton pa for some software training for work, at the end of the month.

The 3 hotels that are in exton are just motels.

I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a nice hotel near exton. preferably one that provides a shuttle or that is in easy driving distance ( I am hoping to not have to drive myself around)

I will have either 2 or 3 half days of free time and I was interested in hitting up the 'king of prussia' mall and maybe some other great shopping places. I am hoping to get all my holiday shopping done on this trip. how far is the king of prussia from exton?

Also, can anyone reccomend any great dining spots that I should hit up? For dining and breakfast.

I am from south florida, what kind of temperatures are you guys expecting for the end of the month??

sorry for asking so many questions. Ive never been to the philly area so I am hoping to make the best of it.

Anything else u guys would like to reccomend that I would be able to visit on the limited amount of time I have??

thanks in advance

Dover, Delaware
Level Contributor
47 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to exton for work- need info re surrounding area

I live about 2 hours south of Philly, and travel into the area on a regular basis for work.

I usually drive to the area, so I don't know much about shuttles. Exton is a pretty upscale suburban neighborhood, so I really don't think there is a neighborhood trolley. Most of the public transportation in the Philly area is designed to get folks in and out of the city from the suburbs, it really does not do much as far as getting one from one suburb to another.

Even though there are only three hotel in Exton, the suburbs are really close together, there are probably more than 20 hotels within a 10 mile radius, listed under various town names.

I stayed at the Residence Inn Philadelphia Valley Forge which is acutally in Berwyn, Pennsylvania, That's about 5 miles north of Exton, I read some very good reviews about the place so I stayed there, and was very happy. It is in a fairly quiet neighborhood, and close to a small shopping center.

I've also stayed in the Fairfield Inn in Exton, nothing spectacular, but was clean, and I had no problems with it.

The Exton Square Mall is actually pretty nice, my two teenage daughters find everything they need there, and give it their seal of approval. While the King of Prussia Mall is just up the road, about 10 miles to the north, I really don't see the big deal, it is larger, but not all that different.

If you are into American History, Valley Forge National Park is just up the road, lots of history, as well as nice hiking and biking trails, you can rent a bike there.

As far as the weather, in the fall the 60's and 70's are typical, and it can get as low as freezing at night, (the old frost on the pumpkin).

West Chester
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: going to exton for work- need info re surrounding area

Well, there are not really any means of transportation that are convient within Exton it's self. There are trains and buses that run on regular schedules. However, it depends on where you training is as to where I would advise you to stay. Exton has so many eating options available. If you post what area you will be training at I could give you a little more adivse.

Glenolden, PA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: going to exton for work- need info re surrounding area

HOWDY! Welcome to Exton, Chester County, PA. Sooooo, you wanna know the lay of the land, welll..... If you have a car, that would be great. There is very limited public transportation in the area provided by Krapfs coach (http://www.krapfbus.com/Pages/public.htm) and SEPTA (http://www.septa.com). I would suggest you secure the services of an automobile. There is a Cracker Barrel restaurant on business route 30 about 2 miles west of route 100. Great for all daily meals. The Exton Square Mall has some eateries as well. There is a Bob Evans restaurant in front of the mall on route 100 that has the best crepes! If you mosey on down to the train station on route 100 just south of route 30, you can hop on the commuter train to downtown Philadelphia (About 1 hour ride) for around six dollars each way. Exit the train at Market East Station to be in the heart of center city. You can walk to the WORLD FAMOUS South Street area (About 8 blocks south) or hop on a bus going south. Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell are also within walking distance of Market East. (About 3 or 4 blocks) There are only about a million restaurants and clubs in this area. The King of Prussia Mall is too expensive for my tastes but from Exton, take route 30 east to route 202 north to the mall. (About 9 miles) If you are looking to save a bundle, check out the factory outlet center in Reading, PA. (Say RED-ING) VFO outlet has the best prices. The hotel will have info on directions to the outlets. If you go south on route 202 about 7 miles into the state of Delaware, all shopping is free of any sales tax! PA sales tax is 6% on all items except clothing and unprepeared food. If you have an emergency, most areas have access to 911 emergency calling. Some counties have GPS enabled dispatch centers so they will know where you are calling from. If you are from FL, bring your long underwear! It gets pretty "Chilly in Philly" this time of year. Nighttime temps fall into the 40s and 30s in the Exton area. A "Sub" sandwich here is called a "HOAGIE" and nothing else! If you see a sign on a deli that says "Steaks", it means you can get a cheese steak sandwich there, not a t-bone. If you have a handgun carry permit in FL, you can also carry it here. Just don't try to bring it on the plane. They seem to frown on that sort of thing these days. Thats about all I can think of! Good Luck and enjoy your stay! Chris...

4. Re: going to exton for work- need info re surrounding area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, August 27, 2009