We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time for fall foliage?

Southeastern US
Level Contributor
18 posts
62 reviews
best time for fall foliage?

We will be in the Lancaster area for viewing the fall foliage and need some advice. We can go on one of the following weekends:

Oct. 9 or Oct. 30.

Which would be better for the fall leaves? I'm afraid if we wait until the 30th, it would be too late. Is Oct. 9th too early?

Thanks!

Washington DC Day Trip from New York
1,155 Reviews
from $169.00*
Likely To Sell Out
2-Day Niagara Falls Tour from New...
466 Reviews
from $320.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Philadelphia and Amish Country Day...
423 Reviews
from $169.00*
PA
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: best time for fall foliage?

October 9th will probably be perfect for the Poconos but might be a little too early for Lancaster County. Here in Northern Lancaster County the full leaf color is about the 3rd week of October. But of course each year is different due to the weather conditions. I would go with the 9th even though the leaves will not be in full color. It still is a beautiful time of year to visit Lancaster County.

Southeastern US
Level Contributor
18 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: best time for fall foliage?

Thanks so much! Your advice is not to wait until the end of the month? Do you know anything about the foliage at Gettysburg?

PA
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: best time for fall foliage?

Nope, I can't help you with Gettysburg. Hopefuly someone else will.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: best time for fall foliage?

The 9th is a little early. The 30th usually is about right. My wife's and my anniversary is on the 27th and it is usually around peak.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: best time for fall foliage?

Gettysburg is not much different from Lancaster. Second to third week of October, usually. But the entire month is lovely. If you do come to Gettysburg, take 34 north to the apple orchard country. Lots of great varieties and farm fun.

State College
1 post
6. Re: best time for fall foliage?

Marc Abrams at Penn State says the recent rains will probably delay the peak displays in many areas of the state, which usually hit around the middle of October. Southeast is definitely just starting to turn, as of Monday 10/12/09. Here's a link to a podcast with Dr. Abrams on the fall foliage forecast; he puts this year's display in relation to larger trends in Pennsylvania's forest ecology: …psu.edu/news/…view

7. Re: best time for fall foliage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 13, 2010