We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Camping

SoCal
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Coast Camping

I'm not familiar with the Oregon Coast at all, so I'd appreciate it if any of you can offer some ideas for your favorite/most beautiful places to camp/hike/mountain bike anywhere along the coast.

I'm looking for something remote/rustic, with campsites that are protected from the wind.

A good analogy would be Big Sur - spectacular scenery, good hiking, and a minimum of the typical tourist trappings.

I've noticed in my web searches that many popular coastal areas are populated with large, multilevel hotel/condo/timeshare complexes on the beach - that's what I'd like to avoid.

Thanks!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

When are you traveling? How much time will you have to experience the OR coast? And you will find this is not the CA coastline in terms of development. Much of it is State owned and/or restricted from development.

SoCal
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

Mid August for about a week and a half. (Two weeks vacation, but must include travel time from/to San Diego.)

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

Hi ehere-

mid-August is the prime season for the Oregon Coast- so expect lots of tourists and a little less on the remote/rustic feeling during this time.

Oregon State Parks are pretty nice-don't know if they fit your remote/rustic defintions(since I haven't been to Big Sur). They are normally filled to capacity in the summer so again-not sure if that is an issue. I would recommend reservations at campgrounds that take them. Here are some state parks you might want to check out on the Oregon State Park website for camping

Sunset Bay- protected 'swimming' beach & network of trails to other state parks

Tugman-not on the beach, but protected and out of the wind on Eel Lake.

Honeyman-great for families-tons of activites-canoeing, playing in sand dunes, etc

Washbourne-nice system of trails-including out to Heceta Head Lighthouse.

Cape Lookout- beautiful hike out to the end of Cape Lookout and a trail to the beach

Fort Stevens-Not for camping-it feels like sardine camping- but a very interesting area with lots of hiking & history. It has a really great beach that is free of hotels and the like-a nice walking beach.

I'm sure you will get lots of advice-there are regular posters here who give excellent advice on the Oregon Coast.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

Chinookgrrrl gave some EXCELLENT advice; good choices and good recommendation regarding reservations (resys) in state parks.

I'll add two other parks that, from your description, fits nearly perfectly: #1, Oswald West State Park. It is 10 miles south of Cannon Beach (4 miles north of Manzanita. It's beautiful, a bit rustic (walk-in campground; no showers) and 15 miles of the multi-use Oregon Coast Trail. The downside here is there are only 34 (I think) campsites and they do not accept resys. To increase your chance at getting a spot, try weekdays and arrive around 9 am and wait for a capsite to vacate. If you're bold, you can quiz campers to find out who's staying or leaving.

#2, Ecola State Park. Located in north Cannon Beach, it also fits your description. They recently added rustic cabins on top of Tillamook Head, right along the Oregon Coast Trail. There are no ammneities in the general area, but it's not too far from civilization.

Chinookgrrrl mentioned Carl G. Washburne, which is 15 miles north of Florence on the central coast. There are walk-in campsites here also, but again, Washburne is a non-resy park, so same scenario exists as at Os West.

There are a number of USFS campgrounds beginning with the Siuslaw National Forest in southern Tillamook County. They tend to be a bit more rustic than state camprounds and they have some nice locations, but it would be hard to argue that State Parks have most of the prime locations along the coast.

For more information on Oregon Statre Parks, visit www.oregonstateparks.org.

~Den~

SoCal
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

Thanks chinookgrrrl and dengay for the great info. That gives me a lot to go on. (-:

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

Check out Cape Perpetua also. There is a hike to the beach though. You can see the Giant Spruce. Like I said, you'll have to hike a couple of miles to the beach but the views are beautiful. There are plenty of hiking trails nearby and a visitors center.

Honeyman can sometimes be a little loud at night. Sometimes the partiers can make it miserable for other campers but I don't think this happens all the time.

Level Contributor
35,740 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

Hi ehere, I also enjoy both the Oregon Coast and Big Sur. Ecola State Park in Cannon Beach is gorgeous but Cannon Beach is very touristy in the summer, not what I would call remote at all. Fort Stevens is also very nice but can get very touristy in the summer. I think you would most enjoy Oswald West State Park, we surfed there a lot last summer. I have some photos posted on this site, as you can see from one of the photos, it can get VERY crowded on the weekends here with the surf crowds. Short Sands Beach is where the surfers and groups like to go.

The Central Oregon Coast has some very nice scenery and is less populated than the northern coast in the summer months. I have found the entire Oregon Coast from Brookings to Astoria to be very pretty, you may want to pick up an issue of Oregon Coast magazine to help you with your travel decisions. Have fun! :)

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

We have stayed at "Beachside" near Yachats several times and found it to be a very pleasant campground. We never had a problem with wind there. It isn't very remote though, as it lies on a stretch between 101 and the beach!

You could try North of Lincoln city, in the Three Capes area. We were there in October (staying in a beach house) and there were many nice hiking trails and great scenery.

I camped at Honeyman about 7 years ago and won't go back. That place is like a small city.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

Some other places I like-

Pistol River State Park-one of my favorite beaches on the south coast-just beacuse there is nothing really there except miles of beach-hence not alot of people. :)

Cape Perpetua that Junlauf mentioned is also an excellent area. The tide pools here are pretty spectacular-if interested make sure you stop. -I like Cummins Creek Wilderness area located on Cape Perpetua for a 'old-growth' forest hike.

Den-also gives EXCELLENT advice! :) You probably should visit Oswald West & Ecola-they are 'classic' oregon views, but I find them so busy in the summer that it puts a damper on the experience. If you go try to go early in the morning if possible.

There are many pull-outs along the side of 101 for beach access as well. So if you find a place you like go for it!

I'm not sure which way you are traveling on Hwy 101 N to S or

S to N, but note that if you travel N to S you will be on the ocean side and the views and pull outs will be much more accessable.

Level Contributor
35,740 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon Coast Camping

One more thought ehere, I would make a reservation asap for mid-August, places fill up very quickly in the summer months, you don't want to be disappointed if you really have your heart set on a certain area that sounds like it would work for you. :)