We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We had a great two-week trip around Oregon (with a slight detour into Washington) at the end of the summer. We were amazed by how varied the scenery was – from rocky coast to volcanoes to high desert. I think every other word out of our mouths was “Wow!” We got so much helpful information from reading the Oregon forum that we wanted to report back.

When we arrived, we headed up to the Mt. St. Helens area. We spent a day traveling the Spirit Lake Highway to MSH, stopping at the visitors centers and overlooks along the way. We enjoyed the films at each visitors center, particularly the first-person accounts. Astoria was our next stop (took the ferry at Cathlamet) and we enjoyed the view from the Astoria Column, the Maritime Museum, and Fort Clatsop. We headed south down the coast from there. I’ve lost track of all the viewpoints and parks where we stopped, but it would be an understatement to say that there were many places we would have liked to have stopped if we had been spending a week on the coast. We did visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory and it was very crowded. (But worth it for the ice cream.) We were lucky enough to see a whale just offshore at Depoe Bay. After overnighting in Yachats, we drove up to the Cape Perpetua viewpoint for the impressive view. Other stops along the way included: Cape Foulweather, Oregon Dunes, Arch Rock, Ophir Beach, Umpqua Lighthouse, Face Rock, Cooks Chasm. Enjoyed detours through Port Orford and Bandon. Crater Lake was next and we were not disappointed by all the rave reviews we had read about it. The Bybee wildfire was burning so there was a fair amount of smoke around, but the scenery was still remarkable. The highlight of that stop was getting up early and watching the sunrise over the lake. The Newberry Volcanic Monument Visitors Center/Lava Butte was one of our favorite sites. Great views from the top of the butte. We headed over to NE Oregon via Baker City and the Hells Canyon Byway, amazed by the striking scenery. The visitors center at the John Day Fossil Beds was worth a visit as was the National Oregon Trail Interpretive Center outside of Baker City. We took Forest Service Rt. 39 to get to Joseph and stopped at the Hells Canyon Overlook – very dramatic scenery. We even came across some cattle meandering down the middle of the road. After a stay in Joseph, which was very relaxing, it was on to Hood River. It was very windy when we were there, so the windsurfers were out in force. We finished our trip with a few days in Portland (via the Historic Columbia River Hwy.). Our Portland favorites were the Chinese and Japanese Gardens. We also liked sitting in Pioneer Square and just watching all the activity. There was even a fireworks show on the river one evening, which we thought was a nice finale to our trip.

There were many other places we would have liked to visit and sites we would have liked to see, but nevertheless it was a great trip and we enjoyed every minute of it. We’ll just have to come back!

Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report

Rainbow, right that is how you would find it. Not the classiest place in town. Not a place you would venture in to off the street. A few of my fellow FS retirees meet there every week for lunch. I would go too but long trip

I gave good comments about vis centers, Oreg trail in Baker City and Umatillas near Pendleton, I don't believe either End of Trail in Oregon City or Warm Springs are close to matching them.

Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report

Does the Cathlamet ferry dock at Westport? I think that is the one.. it is 19min to my house from there and 16min without much traffic to the Astoria Hospital LOL/

Anyway glad you had such a great time here! Hope you come again.

How is the Fort Clatsop reconstruction going?

Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip Report

Yes, the Cathlamet ferry docks at Westport. It was a very pleasant and leisurely way to cross the Columbia.

The Ft. Clatsop reconstruction seemed to be coming along quite well when we were there in August. They must be close to being finished by now.

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip Report

I know this is an old post . I came across it looking for info on Hells Canyon.

Hoping one of you familiar with the east side could voice your ideas.

Coming from Coeur d"Alene area traveling through Hells Canyon then on to Boise.

Looking for ideas and suggestions as to the best way to see the area with kids. Best place to spend the night.Is it better to get a boat ride from the Lewiston area or by Oxbow?

Wallowa Lake looks like a beautiful area, are there places on the lake to stay?

Hope this is to old that nobody looks at it anymore, Thanks!

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip Report

Try the 'Driving trip in Eastern Oregon" Post on Oregon fourms page three for some more info, if you havent already.

Wallow Lake is really nice-I useally camp, so can't really help with the lodging. I know there is Wallowa Lake Lodge on the Lake, but I have never stayed there. If you are going this summer, you should really start making reservations if you want to stay at a place near Wallowa Lake. Check out the Mt. Howard Tram while you are there- it is pretty fun.

here's the scenic byway as posted by ODOT.

Theres lots of good advice here.

16. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, August 25, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now