We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secret Coastal Places

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Secret Coastal Places

I like to find those secret, sometimes hidden, places that spice up a trip. For example, the BackDoor restaurant in Friday Harbor. The off 101, west, coffee shop in Yachats. A gallery off the beaten track. A preserve or park not well known. A viewpoint that cries for attention.

I'm not asking for a list, but would like to know of special places along the coast, more or less, that appealed to fellow travelers, some venue that says "wow, I wish I'd known of this" or "boy, the natives sure kept this a secret".

Of course, by requesting this, I'm blowing your covers over the places that appeal to you and a few others. :)

Thanks.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Secret Coastal Places

You wrote ... " I like to find those secret, sometimes hidden, places that spice up a trip." and then said the word "Secret " again!! I saw it, twice !! LOL

I swear, if I find any places that are so wonderful that I will consider them secret , or special, I will let you know ... Arch Cape and Manzanita are all I can think of now, being a Portland newbie and all.

Speaking of blowing covers, syrahgirl who lives in California, seems to be as short on special places as I am, we both need to visit the Coast more often LOL

I hope to make lists from this thread for our future adventures out at our lovely Coast..thanks for posting this, voyaging~

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Secret Coastal Places

Suggest you plan a full day to drive from Yachats to Florence. stop at every place with parking. you can find a few. Devils Churn and Heceta LH are two to start, but many more that really are not well known.

And for secret place there is lost lake somewhere between Newport and Waldport. ocean side of 101. When I was in High school there could find it in middle of night and did a few times. Now just somewhere between Newport and Waldport I might be able to find again. It was Toledo's place no one else was welcome. or maybe even knew. I know even a few years later it was still Toledo's place.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Secret Coastal Places

Yes Mistletoe, I am being a bit stingy, I could go on for ever for the area from the Columbia River to the Coquile River, but having been born and raised in the area, and having worked on construction of the Cape Falcon and Neah-Kah-Nie Mt trails, keeps me a bit nostalgic for them. They have always been my favs and always will be.

Den

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Secret Coastal Places

Not sure when or how far down the coast your going but we have a spot we like that is not well know except to locals. It recently was taken over by the Forest Service and isn't quite finished but is a beautiful pair of lakes just North of Lakeside. It's Hall Lake and Shuttpelz Lake. There is wooded and dune trails all around Hall and trails up to Shuttpelz and out to the dunes. Awesome scenery and landscapes. You can climb up the dunes next to Shuttpelz you can see all the way to the ocean. Great place for a picnic. There are no signs to it just one at the gate and only parking for about a dozen cars and I've never seen it full. The website below gives a little info and some directions.

fs.fed.us/r6/…siu_lakes.html

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Secret Coastal Places

Hi everyone!!

I am with Den that is my favorite coast area also. Other than that we also love the South Jetty, and there are some neat places back in there where people don't usually go. (Ft. stevens area).

Syrahgirl- I did check out Kim's Kitchen and actually agree with her assessment, we had the Halibut fish and chips and they were the best I have ever had. I want to take my DH for their Korean food, but I haven't had the $$ :).

Other secrets... well are hidden and would take quite a bit of explaining, and well I am not telling rofl!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Secret Coastal Places

LOL Rivergallery! No, don't tell :)

17. Re: Secret Coastal Places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 23, 2009