We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

Hey TA I am planning another trip. I might be babysitting a cat for my friends whose daughter is getting married. I will be in Las Vegas and will fly into Eugene. They live in Corvallis. I am looking how to maximize my time.

We visited my friends a few years ago and did an amazing road trip doing the Oregon coast, Redwoods and Napa, spectacular scenery . This time I am going the other way. I will be solo and money a little tighter this trip . I am looking for suggestions on how to best spend a week or so. Should I rent a car for the week or take the train and just rent for day trips? I love to hike and enjoy scenery.

This trip will be the end of September 2014, I know Sept, is a lovely time to visit.

Any suggestions appreciated thanks.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

First of all, I hope this works out for you. September is beautiful here, and in Corvallis it is about the best time of the year. I personally love Corvallis! Anyway, I would definitely rent a car, especially since you mention hiking.

Let us know more of your interests and such, and we can help you a bit more:)

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

I am waiting to make sure the wedding date is set. Corvallis is beautiful we visited in Sept several years ago.We did some really nice wine tours. I like scenery,animals and museums but not much on touring historical stuff.

Looking at cars the rates aren't to bad about 200 for a week going out of Portland,

Thanks

LIG

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

Eugene is such a pleasant airport to fly into and out of. I've done it many times and far prefer it to PDX, epecially since it's so much closer to where we live on the coast, LOL. To Corvallis, it's an easy drive and you don't even have to get on the freeway!

Are you a Costco member? Eugene does have some car rentals and using Costco (I've used Budget several times) may not be too pricey.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

Thanks 1/2 brit working out the details now. I am not a costco memeber but might join for the benefits this years lots of travel planned.

LIG

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

We are Costco members, but I don't use it at all for travel as I can find better deals on my own,, IME. So look and see how much you might save to see if it is worth it. If you have any ties to groups like USAA, you might have better luck. Anyway, $200 for a week is good. Eugene is a nice airport and you are only about 45 minutes from Corvallis, and along why 99 it is a nice drive.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

Since you did the coast last time, try the Cascades near Bend this time. McKenzie Pass will be open in Sept, as will Cascade Lakes SB, and Newberry Crater

Edited: 10:36 pm, March 20, 2014
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

You're welcome :-)

There are lots of places to drive to make a nice half day or full day 'tour'. Oregon's back roads (other than Forest Service roads) are all paved and are interesting to wander around.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

Looks like I will have a car for my stay in Corvallis, my friends are lending me theirs.

Ok I put Bend on my list , great scenic byways up that way so I will stay one night. Great suggestion phirl. I am starting to research short trips from Corvallis suggestions welcome 1/2 brit or anyone else.

Then I will spend up a few nights in Portland, after they return home, looks like so much to do I might not make it to Seattle this trip.

I guess I will have to plan on returning :>). Oregon is just so beautiful.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

Very nice of your friends:) If you end up having time for Seattle, Amtrak is really easy to go between Portland and there. With advance purchase, and mid week, fares are as low as $33 right now. Weekends, holidays etc are more. But like I said IF you end up with time and want to do it, you can easily do it after you give your friends their car back.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corvallis, Portland, Seattle

a great short day trip from Corvallis is Mary's Peak-fantastic views and perhaps a side trip to Finley Wildlife Refuge... of course the beach is a short 1 hour drive from Corvallis...