We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise trip to Oregon

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Surprise trip to Oregon

I am giving my husband a trip to Oregon for Christmas. We have a week in July. Is this a good time to go? Flying in to Portland. We are big mountain bikers and hikers and also love the ocean. Would like to stay in some nice hotels. Any help would be much appreciated.

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise trip to Oregon

What is your nightly budget? The Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach is very nice and oceanfront! :).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise trip to Oregon

July is a good time to go- weather will be about as good as it gets and July is high vacation time and expect the coast to be busy. All of those things can be done in any part of Oregon(except the ocean bit).Do you want to spend a few days in each place or travel around and see the maximum you can in 7 days? If you can be a bit more descriptive we can be a bit more helpful. There are also some good posts on this website regarding itineraries and such.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise trip to Oregon

July is a busy time on the coast, so you'll need to book well ahead. Hopefully you are not planning on July 4th weekend? That is the busiest weekend of the year.

I will echo the above posters. What is your lodging budget and are you thinking of staying in one place for your week, or maybe two? Were you planning to spend any time in Portland?

You mention "mountain biking". Were you thinking of doing some here, maybe renting bikes?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise trip to Oregon

You already have the tickets?? Is that for airline only? I gather there are no kids.

For mountain biking and hiking Oreg Cascades.

On Oregon coast best hiking is on the beach in my view.

Hope you do know Oregon ocean is not really swimmable, just too chilly. some do use wet suits and surf in a few places.

5. Re: Surprise trip to Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, December 18, 2014